Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by a.g.turner, Aug 30, 2010.

1. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

Hi all.
    I'm new to boats in general but have been keen to get involved for many years.

I have just aquired a boat which will need lots and lots of restoration.

I have absolutelu no idea what this boat is and i'm very aware i may be in over my head and well out of my depth - no pun intended - but i've started now so I guess I have to plug away with what i've got

The first thing i need help with is finding out as much as possible about the boat itself

Can anyone identify the make and model and tell me anything about the specification etc.

Also can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to begin the restoration. My initial thoughts, as someone who knows nothing about boats but is a decent carpenter etc, is to remove all the paint and begin carefully removing the rotten wood but I may need help from a proper boat builder for this.

Any advice greatfully received. And please don't laugh too hard at my ignorance.

How do I go about uploading pics of the boat for identification purposes - in the meentime please look here for pics of the boat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TMzCEwRTVo

Many thanks

Andy

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

When you post a message hit the "go advanced" button.
    There is a window for attachements.

Some of us cannot watch utube (me included).

And posting once is enough! Three times the same post will lead to irritations which you don´t need.

Regards
    Richard

3. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

Ooops sorry....................

Certainly don't wanna annoy anyone. I only posted the youtube link as i couldn't figure out how to upload pics of the boat

I wasn't sure which forum I should be posting in - sorry

Andy

4. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

Pics of this boat

Some pics of the boat in question

Attached Files:

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Gone!

That one is not worth to think about any further, sorry.

Not to disappoint you, but reality is a brutal monster. And telling you it could be done would be not serious.

I will elaborate deeper if need be. (and sure others will chime in too)

Regards
    Richard

6. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

So you think forget it then? :/

That's a real shame
    I know it's a huge project but it just seems sucha shame to see a boat like this go to scrap

Why do you think it's a lost cause...........

Certainly not questioning your expertise, just keen to learn as much as possible.

Andy

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

A bit later, I´m heading to port and have to dock in about ten minutes. Will come back.

Richard

8. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

ok that's cool - thanks

9. Anytec1210

Anytec1210 Junior Member

The problem is that you most likely has huge structioral damages and probably have to pretty much replace the entire boat. I sugest before you decide in her future that you get a straight answer and a to-do-list from professional inspector.

On the upside though: The mony you will have to put into a poject like this will sure buy you a fully fuctional boat, but without all the hazle.

10. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

Yeah - I guess what i'm thinking is that............
    1. By doing as much work as possible myself, or at least getting the right professionals to do the work I can't do, i'm going to learn a lot more than if i just buy a boat.
    2. I don't have the cash right now to buy a complete boat but if I restore this boat over a couple of years I may end up spending more, for sure, but in small amounts here and there and in the long term that's more financially achievable for me.
    3. It's the "labout of love thing" i guess i've become attached to this idea and if it's at all doable i'd love to see her on the water again.

But do tell me if i'm totally crazy :)

Andy

11. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

As Richard suggested, the boat itself looks like it would be much more expensive to repair than to build a new one. If you want to get creative, you might strip the boat of all hardware and use it as a kind of male mold (plug, but not not to make a mold). Either a stich and glue approach with plywood, or a fiberglass layup, even possbily laminated ferro cement. You would need to work with an engineer to look at strengths and stresses. However if you are going to build, then you shuold think about what boat you really want.

12. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

Hmmmmmm

There seems to be a common thread running here
    I'm getting depressed!!! lol
    Out of interest - does anyone know what it actually is?

Andy

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

So, now.

As already mentioned by other members here, that is more like a newbuild, no restoration.

A real newbuild of that size would cost less than restoring it, that is sure.

Not only is the material tricky to repair (ply), There is nothing left to repair, and it is not likely that the structure is still in shape.

The barnacles on the superstructure show that she was on the ground.
    All the wood is waterlogged and most likely not to salvage.
    There is no paint or varnish left on the house, means soaked. gone

Even if you would manage to restore her (which 100% is not possible without a severe load of experience), you would end up with a boat whcih maybe worth 10% of the restoration cost!

I am not happy to disappoint you, but happy if I can hold you back from going bancrupt.

Salvage the lead keel and sell the lead! Buy a nice set of plans for that money and start dreaming about a new boat built by your own hands!

Thats the way.

Regards
    Richard

14. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

Thanks to everyone for their sage advice!!

Decision made.
    Been ebaying and I can pick up a 20/30ft sailing cruiser in seaworthy condition for about £2000 to £3000 on the water. Does that sound like a better idea?

Will salvage what I can and buy a boat that needs a little bit of work not a huge amount like this one

Thanks again everyone - very sensible and usefull advice!!!!

Andy

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

It does!

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.