The Ideal Motorsailer

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by rogerstrube, Jun 24, 2008.

1. rogerstrube

rogerstrube Junior Member

I will be starting construction of a catamaran motorsailer when my present boat (Millennium Dragon, Ocean Cat 49) sells. The parameters of the boat I have in mind may be reviewed on my web site: www.wingsailor.com
    Just click on the tab "The Ideal Motorsailer".
    You will find some interesting observations and concepts as well as pictures of "Skeeter" a 33' home built catamaran powerboat a friend built. This boat makes 21 knots using two Honda 30HP outboards and will go from Miami to Bimini on just over 3 gallons of fuel. These pictures give a general idea regarding what I have in mind.
    With the price of fuel I am considering powering with electric motors/Lithium Ion batteries/solar panels/small diesel generator. The sail portion will be a solid wing. I will probably have a semiproduction builder make the hulls to cut construction time. I think a very light weight version similar to the P38 (now 44'?) may work best. Any thoughts on hull shape for such a light weight vessel?

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.