motorboat design book?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sourcefinder, Dec 17, 2011.

1. sourcefinder

sourcefinder Junior Member

Hello,

First of all its great to see how many people try to built their own boat or to work with this very complex part of engineering.

I am working on a high-speed-eclectric boat.

I had a book 5 years ago regarding yacht design.
    In this book the design of a motor boat was explained regarding friction forces and resistance. It was written in English.
    It was explained how to figure out the length of the waterline when the boat is planing and how fast the boat goes by a certain amount of horse power or kW.

Now I have to do a calculation again and I was looking for my book, but it seems I gave it away. So I checked some books, I know that the one I am looking for is not principles of yacht design.

So could anybody please give me advice, in which book I can found calculation für motor boats like I wrote?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards from Austria / Europe
    Hermann

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

The calculations you are looking for were probably from Savitsky's papers on planing craft. You should be able to find these with Google. They may even have been posted on this site.

Renato Levi's series of books (I think he did 3) are worth a look, but I don't think they give much in the way of mathematics.

Tim B.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.