Water in the Engine and oil

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by krisnowicki, Nov 18, 2007.

1. krisnowicki

krisnowicki Junior Member

First sorry for the long post....
    On my four winns 220 liberator with a 350 Crusader...
    Last Time I had the boat out about 1 mile from home I was crusing at about 30 @2800 rpms when all f a sudden the oil prssure rockets up to 80lbs and the temp goes from 145-150 to 200... I shut her down and let her cool.... I appeard to have steam coming from the exhaust when I was running it.... Weh I started it back up it went to 160 immediatly but I drove hoime no problem and it held Idle. After this I check the oiol and all is well no water and it is crystal clean. I take it out today to go fishing and ...... she wouldnt start at idle and once I got her started if i lower it below 1500 it will choke it self and die. I also got some seriuos black smoke. So I stop trying to start and stablize the engine and check it over.. all looks well but there is water in the oil... Not a whole lot but enough to make a little bit milky. So I am thinking head gaskte would cause the oil.. the lack of idle... and the smoke... Also when she was running the last mile home the night she overheated... the right port side bank of the engine was making a wierd noise... like FLAP FLAP FLAP instead of a nice glub glubglub.... does this analsys sound correct...
    Well i pulled the plugs there was water in every cylinder... The number 5 plug was completly destroyed... all the plugs look good but had moisture on the otherwise.. I pull the plugs and turn the engine over water cam out of both sides... The block does seem to have any cracks.... It hasnt been cold enough to freeze it... The manfolds and risers are brand new with new gaskets,.,... I dont know ,,,, I would think head gasket but then why water on both side unless the both went? Any advise would be helpful... I drain the whole engine So there is no fluid in it now... thanks in advance.
    P.S. I am thinking this could have been a timing problem two with the black smoke and blown plug

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You probably have a blown head gasket or cracked head which involves three cavities; cylinder (s) oil gallery (s) and water jacket.
    You shouldn't have run it, but hopefully the damage wasn't made much worse.
    Once the cylinder (s) blow out into the cooling system, the water pump can cavitate (becoming non-functional), hence temperature rising.

Don't run it! You will destroy the engine! Take it in to a good mechanic and tear the head off. Hopefully you don't have a cracked head or block. Ideally, you only need a head gasket and a cleaning.

Alan

3. krisnowicki

I am going to pull the heads and change the gasket .. i haven't ran it since... and wont untill its done thanks for your reply

4. krisnowicki

how about the oil ... what do i need to to make sure all the water is out...

5. krisnowicki

how about the oil ... what do i need to to make sure all the water is out...

6. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Make sure you've drained ALL of the oil. It wouldn't hurt to dump an extra Qt or two and immediately drain. Also be sure to change the filter. Any water left in the oil passages will be very minimal and shouldn't be a problem. To be sure you could drain again and change filter after a few minutes of running at idle speed.

Jango

7. blared

blared ALFA

Yup the head gasket. Also check your cooling system and change the oil.

8. krisnowicki

I pulled the risers and manifolds they was a problem with them leaking water back in to the engine ... SO that sucked. I think that may have been it

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.