Motor whaleboat sail

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by fish53, Feb 2, 2019.

1. fish53

fish53 Junior Member

I'd like to add a sail to my motor whaleboat primarily as a steadying sail and get home option but a little extra push would be nice for motorsailing to save fuel. I of course don't expect anything beyond downwind as I don't have a lot of keel and would prefer not to add ballast. MWB2.5.jpg
    I'm replacing the cabin and would like to have some idea before I do in case I need to tweak the design to accommodate a mast and sail. I have a fascination with dipping lug sails as there is only one spar and I doubt I'd be doing a lot of tacking anyway.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Try looking at the setups on small motor-sailers in that size range.

3. fish53

fish53 Junior Member

I have but most motorsailers have more keel and ballast to sail upwind, I posted another thread with a couple of examples for discussion but received only light response. I'm not actually seeking a true motorsailer more of a sail assisted powerboat.

4. fish53

fish53 Junior Member

Must be too weird of an idea to generate much interest?

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

A fairly reasonable question, I still think you should look at the selection of motor sailers in that size range, select those that have relatively small sail area, that don't have much ballast, if any. Even look at ones that have basically just a steadying sail. Should be a few around in that class.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think a lug sail would be appropriate. It uses short spars that can be stowed on deck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.