motor size

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by waynesheppard, Aug 17, 2012.

1. waynesheppard

waynesheppard New Member

I just acquired a 13 foot 6 inch boat with no markings, plates or any other information on it. What size motor should I be looking for to put on it?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Multiply the boat's length, by the width of the transom and report the number back here. It's probable you'll have a number in the 45 to 55 range (3' 4" to 4' transom), which will place you in the 20 to 25 HP category. If the transom is a bit fat (4' 4") you can get away with a 30 HP.

This is a very rough estimate and the hull type, plus configuration play big roles, so tell us more about the boat and post a picture, so we can see what you've got to play with.

3. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I'm with Par at about 20-25hp was my first thought.

A pic would help-open aluminum fishing boat,trihull,or a runabout?

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You can buy a car with 40HP or 400HP depends on what your going to do.

5. waynesheppard

waynesheppard New Member

Thanks Par I'm new to boats and tackling a simple rebuild for a boat I got for free. It has no real damage, transom is good and solid just needs a paint job new interior and a motor. I just don't want to go overboard haha with the motor. Unfortunately I'm not near it right now but its about 4 1/2 to 5 feet wide and the boat is a typical old style fibreglass with the bowed windsheild.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can go to 30 HP (you need to be specific about the transom width), but what's the shape of the boat, as the windshield bit, doesn't tell me much. Post a picture. I'll bet it's an old warped bottom and you'll want to keep the speeds down on these puppies, unless you have a dentist in the family.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.