Motor Sailers?

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Viceroy, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Gary Walth

Gary Walth New Member

Wow, fantastic response'!

Thanks guys, I haven't had the boat on the water save 20 minutes at which time the overflow hose burst of old age and my twin 5 y.o. daughters took the helm "aim for that red bouy, daddy's going below for a minute". The engine was in about 18" of water and rising. Took a little longer than anticipated to get the 12 year abandoned bilge pump to kick. Just as I got a new bilge pump going we went aground 3ft off the red bouy. Girls had fun and I learned not to believe the "she's ready to go" saleman. ;)

Long story longer. Sounds like if I'm looking to hit hull speed, it might be under sail. I really didn't intend to be doing a ton (or tonne) of motoring for motorings sake. The design notes said "aux. power" and I guess that's what I'll have to live with for the time being. Truth be told, we intend to use it as a floating condo on the beach that we can gunkhole around and do short trips.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  2. Lyle Creffield

Lyle Creffield Junior Member

I agree with yipster metric is the go

grew up with both in Aus
    rebuilds i do in the system of measurement that is in place

new builds are in metric

this raises an important issue when discussing vessels - long or short ton/nes
    should be identified for all to understand

3. tpayne

tpayne Junior Member

New Motorsailor from Chuck Paine

Found this while perusing Chuck Paines Website

http://www.chuckpaine.com/pdf/RYDER52.pdf

52 ft, 21 tons displacement, 180 hp single screw.

Looks like 9 HP per ton which is plenty of power. Cruising at 8-9 knots.

I would quickly calculate a fuel consumption of approx 1.5 l/nm at cruising speed.

Very nice

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Nice concept. Thanks for the info.

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

6. Guillermo

Thanks, Brian. I'll use that info for my web pages.
    Cheers.

7. Guillermo

Attached Files:

8. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Heyman design

Beautiful, can remember Heyman from winning the Yachting World design contest with his 44' deck saloon which had a bit cluttered deck layout.

The mast have plenty of rake aft, doubt the efficiency of this. A little more roach (not so much as it influences their ability to come down) in the fully battened sails could improve the looks even more.

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Hi Jeroen, Guillermo.
    I suspect the rake is to try and shift the sail area aft since the CLR looks a bit far aft. It is a shame because a keel like that is a great boon to boat rigidity and moved fwd a bit would be better structurally placed along with a more desirable CLR while still keeping an open forefoot. Still everything is a compromise in small boat design.

Those big aft platforms are a worry on smaller vessels. On a double ender they are less than desirable. I have seen them destroyed by heavy weather on 60 foot wide transomed boats, and the double ender lacks a large aft reserve bouyancy which makes her more prone to pooping. Big platforms really need to be able to be folded away. They are also tend to be more prone to damage coming alongside another vessel or the dockside than a bowsprit (Consider springing off a leeward dock).

Then there is the danger of the operator being swiped off it by the mizzen boom. Probably better to cant out the aft railing and go for a higher aspect ratio mizzen to get the clew accessible and as you say more roach. That would also allow a bigger mizzen staysail.

Have any of them been built yet? the sail balance may be way off in practice.

If the coachtop was slightly higher he could move the hull ports off the topsides and into the coachtop sides (another item prone to damage particulalry alongside).

Beautiful renderings, good stability curve and I agree with his philosophy.

10. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG]
    over a year back i saw her at DYB
    she must be near completion now

11. Guillermo

Mike,
    I agree with you on the platform dislike.
    At their web pages there are images from a unit under construction (http://www.atoa64.com/index.php?menuid=8)
    Probably the one Yipster saw.
    Cheers.

12. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

Lancer 44

Here are some pictures of a Lancer 44 a Great boat. Too bad they are no longer being made. This one is loaded with creature comforts for the lazy sailor.

CHAIM reduced.jpg [/ATTACH]

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i have not really looked here:) this the first ever M, Sailer I built in 88, alloy fractional rig, in boom furling, 80hp 3.9 Cummins, Twin disc in 16 years done 350 engine hours!! for sail I think in NZ. 40 feet, and quite heavily ballested
    maybe Vega you can buy her:))

Attached Files:

14. Vega

Vega Senior Member

350 Hours in 16 years, my God! That says a lot about people and boats. Why should a guy order a boat like that, for doing 350 hours in 16 years:rolleyes: ?

My 4-year-old boat has 900 engine hours and it is a sailboat that needs very little wind to sail. That one is a Motorsailor and it looks that it will need to motor a lot. That will bring us to that old discussion about seaworthiness, bluewater boats and sailors.

It seems to me that there are a lot of guys obsessed with seaworthiness who want ultra seaworthy boats, and then practically don't sail. There are also a lot of guys that sail boats that those kind of guys consider dangerous and not seaworthy, that have circumnavigated with light modern boats without any kind of problem:D .

This is one of them, Mr. Alain Maignan, the new French hero. He has sailed from La Trinité (France) on 7/09/2006 and has returned on the 11/04/2007. He has sailed non stop 26 100 miles, circumnavigated, and all that with a 20 year old big production plastic boat, a small 34ft Jeanneau (4.7 T).

Mr Maignan is not a professional sailor (just an ordinary sailor with a dream) and he is over 50 years old. His boat didn’t carry a windvane and he has not experienced any major problem except a problem with the autopilot that he was able to fix.

http://alainmaignan.sportblog.fr/

http://www.jeanneau.com/2007/index....cle&NumActualite=440&NumLangue=2&NumRubrik=10

(Lazey, it seems a seaworthy motorsailor, but that is not my kind of boat. I prefer light and fast.;) )

Talking about motorsailors, if someone is interested in a new Bavaria Vision 50ft with 20% discount (deliver in September), I know of one. If it were a 40ft I would buy it myself.

Attached Files:

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

why are they building upside down< thought only amateurs did this?, nothing to gain, and all to lose, limited men can get on with other things, and then you have to roll the hull, still nice lines

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.