most radical boat ever built

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tamkvaitis, Dec 25, 2005.

1. tamkvaitis

tamkvaitis sailor/amateur designer

What is the most radical sailboat design ever built? personaly I think team philips cat was very radical, wgat do tou think?

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

If I recall correctly, I heard about a catboat with an 88 foot boom.
    That seems pretty radical to me.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Considering the day and date may I suggest Noahs Ark! Two of everything, must have stank a wee bit! But according to certain 'mythologies' we'd all be in deep poo without it!:D

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I don't think Noah's Ark had sails, it was more like Noah's Barge with no tug and just drifted. Noah's Raft. The most radical 'sailboat' I've seen (in a magazine) wasn't because of the hull, but the sails. They were 6' or bigger verticle tubes that slowly rotated. Any wind against the tubes was somehow converted into force to move the boat in any direction, even into the wind. Sam

5. icetreader

icetreader Senior Member

6. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

I would expect the Ark to have been very conservative. It had to be seaworthy, as they were expecting foul weather ;) and as stated above, didn't have to be fast. MacQuarie's record-setting triscaph YPE and their newer version "Extreme 50" are plenty radical, as are some other speed designs like SailRocket.

[​IMG]

7. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Oh, I forgot Bernard Smith's designs. Now THOSE are radical! Sailloons, fliptackers, and the Little Merrimac that was a precursor to YPE. Some of them didn't work too well, but there have been offshoots, like a cat with a flip-tacking wing on an A frame. And you definately can't accuse them of being conventional. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. safewalrus

How do we know the Ark didn't have sails? Just 'cos they ain't mentioned does that mean we don't have them? This could be applied to many things! Now if some of the older members had been there and witnessed........ (those that were ain't saying):p

9. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

I was looking through a Popular Science magazine at school and there was an article about boats trying to break the 50 knot record...Those were the craziest designs I have ever seen.

Tim

10. yipster

yipster designer

submarine doing over 50 knot

Attached Files:

11. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

Sorry for the misinterpretation they were sail-powered vessels trying to break the 50 knot record.

Tim

12. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

That MacQuarie triscaph (shown above) with the red wing is the successor to Yellow Pages Endeavor, which held the speed record around 46-47 knots for over a decade. Finian Maynard just barely broke that record this year on an asymmetric windsurfer. MacQuarie has had a couple wipeouts recently, but they're considered at least one of the best candidates to break 50 knots first.

13. yipster

yipster designer

i knew you guys were talking sailboats, saw yellow pages and others on tv, great achivements !

yes i liked the team philips boat also before it got lost and only now i see tamkvaitis asks for sailboats.

well, long as the threat is named "most radical boat ever build" here a more frendly looking motor foiler from designer collani

Attached Files:

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Airplanes weren't mentioned either so I just assume they didn't have them. I could be wrong. With the earth covered with water, where would they be sailing to? Sam

15. safewalrus

Same place all those aeroplanes are flying to - mount Arafat or some such, well they've been fighting like crazy ever since! You can see why the unicorns didn't bother making the trip!:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.