Most Efficient Boat Propulsion

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by tom kane, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I nearly asked the same question. But would also have said "I want it work on a sailboat to get the drive out of the water when sailing"

RW

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

No one is making any claims regarding any propulsion system but asking
    "What is the most efficient propulsion for all purpose boating".

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

OK, if I rephrase it to say "any new propulsion system that claims to be the most efficient will have to be more efficient than those posted in the graphs above" then I assume you will agree?

To me propulsion for "All purpose boating" includes oars and sails. So I think you mean only speed boats? We have already been told that tugs, and presumably trawlers, are not what you mean by an all purpose boat

RW

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Hi Richard Woods,like some people say this is a weird thread,but that is good.
    You would have saved time if you checked a dictionary for general, purpose, efficient,
    don`t assume anything. Just as well we are not having a technical discussion that would get difficult.
    I prefer to stay with a general discussion related to common knowledge and experience and available published technical information about boat propulsion. I always carried a spare motor, oars and a sail in my power boats that does not change their general purpose boating use. The images posted at the start of the thread showed power boats with related propulsion to start of a discussion. All boats have some form of propulsion and experience by the boating public sorts out preferences according to their needs.

5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Thank`s for your post and they are saved for reference.
    The charts cover propellers and are not related to specific types of drive installation.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The drive is not as important as the propeller type. Hickmann installed ventilated propellers on a straight shaft in the Sea Sleds. Outboards can run those propellers too. You say that " All boats have some form of propulsion and experience by the boating public sorts out preferences according to their needs.", but claim to have designed a "pivotal drive" that is more efficient on any boat than any drive system in production. People are not saying this is a strange post, they are saying it is a crack-pot post.

7. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Tom

Your cam.propulsion pivotal drive has so much potential, such as with the 2015 technology and materials available, “titanium” I will take this to the next stage.
    I have high performance design Myark water craft that suits the pivotal drive system that also has titanium torsions suspension inserted in the hull so no trailer is needed, “retrieving in surf or remote regions with no boat ramps’ making it an all-purpose boating, the fact when I use simple but affective pivotal drive system I have then added to the all-purpose boat as then I have the performance of a jet boat, outboard motors, stern legs and fixed drive shafts as well as surface propulsions

I wonder if there is any person on boat design that has designed and made propulsions system.
    It would be good to see the walk do the talk.

I have attached some of your pictures from early days.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/surface-drives/pivotal-drive-subsurface-surface-all-one-37539.html
    Cam.a.Propulsion the first Practical Trimmable Shaft Drive for powerboats.
    Inventor Tom Kane. Conceived 1950`s.Patented New Zealand 1973.The logical way to easily install a shaft drive in a powerboat keeping in mind that a fixed drive will be more easily damaged and be inconvenient to trailer and launch your boat.

Attached Files:

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It's a sales pitch only. There is not a single third party verified test data.

9. myark

myark Senior Member

I see Gonzo name keep popping up but gladly I can not read his dribble

10. FMS

FMS Senior Member

He pointed out what most of the contributors to the thread have said: where is the test data? Where are the comparisons showing that this drive is more efficient? And how are you defining efficiency?

In terms of fuel efficiency or speed per hp, I don't see any data that this drive is more efficient than an outboard or sterndrive or transom mounted surface drive. I'm not saying it is or isn't. I don't know. I see that it could be useful for shallow running or avoiding damage which could also be done with a mud motor or by tilting up an outboard more cheaply. This would appeal to boaters who want a steering wheel instead of man handling a mud motor. I'm not clear on the automatic electronic sensors which detect rocks and lift the drive up automatically presumably before a strike occurs. Does this work in practice or is it theoretical at this point? How fast can it act?
    I see that this concept has fewer parts than a stern drive which is good, except it requires the whole boat to be modified which makes it less efficient for a manufacturer than a sterndrive which can provide different drives for different budgets or horsepower by bolting on a different drive out of the box.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How is a sophisticated, electronically and hydraulically controlled drive, cheaper and more reliable than an inboard or a sterndrive?

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Even Gonzo says the idea has been around for 50 years which Toms response is, Gonzo finally got it after 7 years of trying to explain this to him, also plenty of data as the one pictured below to compare a more complex and far more expensive design.
    You say "I'm not clear on the automatic electronic sensors which detect rocks and lift the drive up automatically presumably before a strike occurs."

It does not have any as its not needed because of the very simple design

To build a system like Toms into a hull is like building a jet unit into hull so as a manufacture myself it’s not a problem to build a jet unit attachment in back of hull, in fact very easy to do.
    Has any one on boat design designed and new propulsion system and actually built it or is Tom the only one, that's no counting what is already on the market, and if so lets compare the propulsions efficiency for all purpose boating.

Attached Files:

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Jet drives are not easy to manufacture; or design for that matter. The forum is full of people designing and building longtails, weedwacker drives, paddlewheels, etc.

14. myark

myark Senior Member

This 1973 Seaspay magazine is an explanation about lifting the drive up automatically with out sensors.

Attached Files:

15. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I removed this post because I told the mod I would behave myself. It is Christmas after all.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.