Most Efficient Boat Propulsion

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by tom kane, Dec 4, 2014.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Tom what engine did you have in the cam a boat in the pictures.

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Hi Whitepointer, None of the many motors I used in my boats were permanently installed as some were borrowed and a variety from the first evaluation model 900cc ford E93A to some very high performance motors from racing friends. I could use V/8`s sixes or four cylinder. My preference and most used was a ford GT high lift cam with ram tube Remote Fuel System because of it`s safety factors and the ram tube made the the high performance idle much better for boating.
    V/8` were far to heavy for a 16ft x6ft hull and increased weight draft and drag. Removing a motor taking about 20 minutes because it was just a matter of disconnecting the drive shaft and four soft engine mounts with crash shackles. I often took out the inboard motors and and the drive and fitted an outboard motor to go camping between experiments.
    The Pivotal drive is exactly the same as a conventional inboard install except provision is made for the shaft to lift up. This drive could have been used if people understood mechanical engineering many years ago and perhaps some one did try and was ridiculed and told "it will not work".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  3. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Tom
    As you know you have told me about the Ford Prefect motor as well as simply removing the motor and pivtal drive and replacing it with outboard with no fuss those many years ago that seem like the other day, thanks for the refresher.
    The power of listening is said to be 10 X harder than to talk and is the problem on boat design, especially with tradition and conventional thinking.
    Some years ago I was going to purchase a low cost new fully marine 1800 cc petrol motor weighing all up ready to turn key 120 kg that has 180hp, about 60kg lighter than an outboard.
    I am not sure of the reliability and will visit this factory at a later date to find out more just for peace mind.
    Because I am looking at mass production my option is to purchase second hand motor that is popular and has a good supply of parts for future years that is known to be reliable “bullet proof” and light such as an aluminium block but not a complicated fuel system to the point of going back to the port and polish, Webber and extractors with modified cam where it was possible to tune motor yourself.
    To purchase container full of theses motors from USA or EU and recondition them in China adding all the goodies and if need be make parts such as modified cams or modify the heads with port and polish etc at low cost.
    A not so practical system because of weight is V8 but I like the sound as in big boys toys and have been looking at compact systems with low CC and aluminium bocks however that is another obstacle I need to study when I have the $ and time and may need to settle for V6 and four cylinders.
    The pivotal drive system and a new Myark self-trailered high performance boat design that is suited for all purpose boating would make a refreshing change, especially at a boat show as normally it’s the same old stuff.

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

There are available now four cylinder petrol triple boosted Volvo motors giving the same output as V/8 engines if you could buy one. Formula one four cylinder motors of 50`s 60`
    could produce 1500 HP but rules changed all of that but the motors are great to play with. About 1952 I played with an electric turbo for my sports car..just press button on acceleration and up goes manifold pressure.

There is no such thing as a standard boat now they are almost like autos every one different and it is said that making individual vehicles is no more expensive.

I need transport that is all purpose and not restricted by the terrain.. water propulsion can not do that. Ground Effect Vehicle is what I need so I can just hop in and go most places for recreation. Our aviation watch dogs are taking more interest is ground effect vehicles.

5. outdoorplay

outdoorplay Junior Member

we just put one of those motors in our 7200 Trophy truck,
    Parnelli" Jones donated it to us him self.

Attached Files:

• .1.jpg
      .1.jpg
      File size:
      104.3 KB
      Views:
  6. whitepointer23

A volvo penta b20 would be ideal for a 15 to 18 ft runabout with the pivotal drive . They are lightweight. Strong . Simple and easy to hot up. There are still plenty around cheap. In sweden rally teams used to get 250 reliable hp out of them. Cool racing truck outdoor.

7. yodani

yodani Senior Member

Why would you go with an old engine in the most efficient boat drive?

8. whitepointer23

They are very simple to work on and fuel efficient. Thats for my use. Not for a production boat.

9. yodani

yodani Senior Member

Ok, I understand. What is the fuel cosumption compared to an equivalent modern four stroke like - Yamaha- Honda?

Cheers,
    Daniel

10. outdoorplay

outdoorplay Junior Member

thanks just won another first place this weekend at Rage At The River. know motor is working great,

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Best part is Pivotal Drive is for every mans boat choose you design and style and how much money you want on spend. So many variations possible to the system

Attached Files:

12. myark

myark Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rd2d3PQSiA

I am considering to make a prototype 3.6.m X 2.2 Myark trailer cat design with the pivotal drive system attached to a Harley Davidson for a test run.
    There are many better and powerful bike motors than Harley, but as I mentioned “big boys toys” that has sound similar to aluminium V8 block such as a TR8 triumph pivotal drive I may also place in the 5.m Myark high performance all-purpose self-trailer boat.

13. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Making any boat go straight ahead is usually easy but getting very good maneuverability may not be so easy, you will have to put your thinking cap on. A Pivotal Drive should be a lot easier to handle and more comfortable to travel in than some of those boats with long tail (French Invention) drives. You can use the Pivotal Drive principle to steer with too. The weight of motor and the drive are much lower in the boat in a Pivotal Drive install. Mud boat drives pivot the same as outboards and tilt up and back when striking objects and loose drive much sooner.

The Pivotal Drive has a much more efficient shaft angle and does all the work of protecting itself lifting in shallows and when striking logs etc., and can handle massive HP and heavier boats and drives. It`s in the Industrial class if that is what you need.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  14. myark

myark Senior Member

The pivotal shaft drive would go well because of the shaft adjustment on a hydrofoil boat with a kit added when in deeper water.

Up-Right Hydrofoil kit lying in front of the carton cover. About 80 of these kits were sold in 1961 and 1962 for $375 each.

A 35 hp Evenrude was used on this boat at speeds of around 39 mph were achieved with two people in the boat.

Attached Files:

15. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Foils on boats are easily damaged as many people have found out just as is anything that is solidly fixed under a boat and are not good in very shallow water. I will keep on with my air boat with horizontal fan and my ground effect vehicle similar to a helicopter.

It is amazing the developments in this area such as rotors that do not have rotational torque problems which effects both of those craft.

The Pivotal Drive can be built using a variety of U/V`s and C/V joints to make it more compact and used just for a rise and fall shaft or a steerable drives.
    We would have a lot of trouble with environmental issues in New Zealand if we are not friendly to where we want to travel and even helicopters spraying crops and transporting tourists cause real problems for many people.

When you look around the World at all of the transport modes and their variety there is something for everyone.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.