Windshield help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by isby, May 10, 2007.

1. isby

isby Junior Member

I need to reinstall my winshield I can find a gaskit for it does any one have any info for me....I remove it do to restore...
    Thanks for your time............. ISBY

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

First off Isby, a windshield for what ? What shape ? And what type of frame does it fit ?
    For a simple gasket (if an original replacement is not available) buy the right length of soft rubber tubing (aircondition firms stock it) and cut a straignt line down one side. Wrap it round the edge of your replacement shield - and screw in place.
    But without more detail it's difficult to visualise the problem.:)

3. isby

isby Junior Member

windshield

its for a 1979 thompson and the windshield is a flat glass walk threw..i just need to know what to put between the frame (its aluminum i think.. or something just a little heavyer) and the fiberglass where its mounted on the boat so the windshield doesnt viberate on the fiberglass and eat away at it...so the windshield would be sitting right on this materal..
    Thanks for any help you can give me.....Sorry I dont have the vocabuary to better expland this......Ed

4. isby

isby Junior Member

its for a 1979 thompson and the windshield is a flat glass walk threw..i just need to know what to put between the frame (its aluminum i think.. or something just a little heavyer) and the fiberglass where its mounted on the boat so the windshield doesnt viberate on the fiberglass and eat away at it...so the windshield would be sitting right on this materal..
    Thanks for any help you can give me.....Sorry I dont have the vocabuary to better expland this......Ed

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Sounds like 1" (one inch diametre) soft rubber tubing - slit as I suggested - should do the trick. When tightened between the backing and face frame it will 'spread' and cushion the replacement windshield, holding it firmly and deadening any vibration.
    I should avoid using any 'liquid gap sealer' as the flexible type tends to pick up dirt and discolour over time, and the 'rigid' will add to your vibration problem until it cracks and falls away. Rubber tubing is the way I would go. Again, welcome to the forum - and good luck.:)

6. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

And if that won't do, rhen get a JC Whitny catalog. They have several to choose from.

7. isby

isby Junior Member

Thank you I'll do that..........Thanks for your time.
    Isby

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.