fairing compound over gelcoat ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by newo eloc, Jul 7, 2005.

1. newo eloc

newo eloc Junior Member

I want to start selling my bare cat hulls up to 40 ft .They are male moulded single skined grp polester hulls. All the hulls I have made so far have had a differant end use so it is pointless me fairing them. But to give them a weather coat and to make them look saleable I roll on a gellcoat finnish layer straight over the sanded last chopstrand layer . It looks textured and ok.
    I use polyester resin and q cell for a fairing compound can that be used over the gellcoated hulls ? Or am I doing it all wrong ?

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

No, nothing wrong with gel and Q, it's one of my favorites, besides, when you use resin or gel as the base for the putty (I often mix them 50/50 for better strength (vinylester, that is)), it's the same material that's underneath.

Yoke.

3. newo eloc

newo eloc Junior Member

50/50 ?

thank you yoke , do you mean 50% gel and 50% vinyl-ester ?
    p.s What is the correct term for a hull construction method that is a single lay up as opposed to a hull and deck set up?

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Eloc,

Yes, precisely. Since I do a lot of repair-work, I have to do a fair bit of bonding to fully cured laminates, and the vinylester just gives a lot better bond-strength, so consequently, I use either VE or epoxy almost exclusively.

As for your second question, I don't know, unibody maybe?

Yoke.