how do companies and personal boat owners come up with a name for thier boat?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by druidking, Jan 10, 2009.

1. druidking

druidking Junior Member

i haveoften wondered how boat owners choose a name for thier boat...

(how would/do you name your boat?)

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Most people use something that is meaningful to them. A name of a wife or girlfriend, or something associated with some important event or meaninful thing in their life.

Commercial companies usually pick something that can be identified with their business.

For instance the sailboat I owned in the 80's was named Bright Encounter after a poem by Robert W. Service that reminded me of my daughter.

On the other end of the spectrum I knew a fellow who named his boat My ****** to spite his ex wife after their divorce.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Employ a psychologist, sooth-seer, marketing genius, copy someone elses, smoke of eat some marijuana or whatever meds you can get, buy a book with girls names and their meanings (ships are often called female names - - - - but sometimes not), consult your friendly astrologist, astronomer, library, use your creativeness (brain?)

4. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

hmmmm....Oija board? my dead great-great uncle names mine for me...rofl!

Realistically, I like the Italian language, so I am naming my biggest project-design "Freedom Ship" in Italian (or something like that) because that's what the ship will mean to me if I ever get it completed.

Sometimes, though, I'll be half-way through a "playin' around" design (like my 9x4.5 foot cat) and get reminded of a stealth bomber because I designed the dern thing with all flat panels...thus it shall be named "Stealth Cat." :cool:

5. masalai

masalai masalai

I thought of a name like "farqueue" but figured that would cause difficulties when entering some countries (or leaving?)

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

The nicest name I remember was given in 1978 to a Freightship by eastern German authorities after the first space trip of a (east) German Cosmonaut it was the meaningful:
    "Erster Fliegerkosmonaut der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik Siegmund Jähn"
    EVERY pilot, harbour control, lock operator and the like worldwide loved that name.....be sure:D
    Kiel Canal Service refused to service the ship except they can call it "Jähn" only. It was a serious diplomatic issue and the rotten hulk made several journey´s round Skagen.:p

My sixth and seventh boat were named "dB 6" and "dB7" respectively after the initials of my companies name. Having answered the 200th question whether this boat belongs to the "Aston Martin" company I renamed.

So....senseful does´nt mean good, if christening a ship is the goal.

masalai...what´s wrong with "farqueue" ?:D

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.