experimental SWATH with amas????

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

This thing has been sitting off HWY 101 in Redwood City, CA next to Sheriff substation for about 20+years.

I'd guess the headroom in the cabin is about 5'.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Headroom in the cabin about 5' and amas doesn't fit (a SWATH with amas makes it a SWAQH), but.....

‘‘experimental SWATH Redwood City 20+years’’ gives the.....

SWATH IX-529 Sea Shadow

[​IMG]

‘‘Since 2006 the U.S Navy has tried to give the Sea Shadow away but as of February 2009 nobody has taken the offer.’’

Who takes the bite.......... ??

Regards,
    Angel

3. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

THAT'S what he was talking about?? Good grief. Amas?..LMAO. No amas there...that's for sure.

Personally, keep that ungainly and low-performance SWATH.. I'd rather have the Hughes-built support vessel that was used for that program. Moor it beyond territorial waters, raise my own flag and declare it a country.:D

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I remember using the quote as a title for a thread........still makes me laugh.

Squidman, post some photos when you get around to it. I'm curious to see how it has aged/stained in the salt air.

5. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Exactly the quote I was looking for, Kach. I chuckled loudly the first time I saw it and its brutally honest and fair.

The owners of the sole remaining and largely inctact PHM hydrofoil, Aries, are having one heck of a tough slog trying to save that vessel and they bought it at auction with no USN strings attached at all. It's a tough business, the saving of ships through museum display efforts. The few dollars that roll in from those that visit never come close to what is required to maintain them. The poor USCG Taney in Baltimore harrbor is another example I am very familiar with. Rotting away and now almost beyond saving...she was once under command of my grandfather, but more historically important, is the last surviving vessel that was at Pearl that fatefull day and returned fire at the Japanese planes on Dec 7, 1941. Not even that historical pedigree is enough to keep her alive and afloat.

The Sea Shadow?..pfft. I can understand why no museum wants an old Navy science experiment; the 'was once cool' factor alone won't bring the crowds..

6. BTPost

BTPost Junior Member

Maybe the SeaSheperds could use another sacrificial Hull, in their WAR with the Japanese Whalers. This one could sneak up on them without being seen on Radar, even.... Although it would be hard to shoehorn in those BIG EGO's of the SeaSheperds, in a 5 Ft Ceiling space.... Just a thought...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.