Mooring etiquette

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by missinginaction, Nov 12, 2020.

1. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

No different to my registered mooring. Are you really that selfish that you would get upset if someone used it for a few hours when you are not using it.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If I come back to my mooring and someone has taken it, yes I would be upset. It is no different from finding someone in my house.

3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

It's a little different.

-Will (Dragonfly)

4. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

I will agree to disagree. I understand if someone has taken your mooring and they are not there it would cause a drama but if they are onboard and willing to move i can't see a problem.

5. Will Gilmore

It is more like coming home and finding someone has parked their car in your driveway. If they are still in it, ask them to move. If they've left their car, have it towed and send them the bill. If they are just checking their map wait patiently for them to get their stuff together and move on.

-Will (Dragonfly)

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I would think that brendan gardam's position is more like someone that thinks they have the right to park in your driveway because it was empty.

7. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Gonz, Please.....make it stop.

The original premise of this whole thread was that the bouy(s) in question were located in an area where there were no signs of life whatsoever. A small isolated cove. Lets say you owned a piece of property up in the mountains out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe you used it for hunting and fishing once in awhile. You decided to pave a small patch so you could park there, off the road. You never put up any signs or anything at all on the property. It's just trees and a little paved area.

Lets say some guy's driving along and is really tired. He sees your little patch of pavement and decides to pull over and take a nap. You'd probably never know since this area isn't near your home. If you did happen to go up there, are you going to have the "trespasser" arrested? What do you suppose the local Sheriff would tell you?

What I wrote above is the land equivalent of the original scenario I wrote about. I just wanted to know if there was some unwritten rule in the boating community regarding this. Clearly, based on the responses there is not.

Have a great day,

MIA

8. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

What about the rudeness of filling up a cove so there's no more room to anchor?

The fore mentioned regulations specifically disallowed placing mourings where they interfered with others use of area.

9. Will Gilmore

That is rude. It is hard to make a judgment without specific information about that cove and its relationship to the channel, other areas of safe harbor or what clubs or city organizations are around. Could it be a mooring field maintained by the Sea Scouts or the military or a yacht club? The implication is that it's not listed on the charts. While there may be no consistent census about how to behave here, maritime law is pretty clear when it comes to safety. Number one rule, don't crash. Number two, do everything you can to maintain the safety of your crew, your vessel and the vessels and crew around you. This would extend to the use of an unoccupied mooring.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I asked about what the chart says, but got no response.

11. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I will find out when I talk to this guy Gonz. Based on my conversation though the chart didn't say anything. Knowing him as I have for many years, if the chart said anything he would not have even bothered to look. It might take a while as he's traveling the ICW right now but I'll ask.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.