What should be in a Ship Builder's library?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by El_Guero, Dec 20, 2012.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I just read another post asking about how to build a boat. And I had noticed the one asking about scaling up and down.

OK.

What would I want in my library if I wanted to understand classic boat/ship design and construction?

Hopefully, it will be less than ten books ....

Thank you!

wayne

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

4. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

NICE! And Phil is nice enough to include amazon links.

I enjoyed the Coast Guard manual. I will have to read that one slower in the future, to get the math. I had not thought about 'minimum' requirements being 'required.'

This is beginning to look like a library. This store in NZ seemed to have most of your books so far. http://www.boatbooks.co.nz/design.html

5. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

I have two basic categories of boatbuilding books in my library.

The first category consists of general and relaxing books that a boat enthusiast would enjoy reading instead of fiction. The two books I've enjoyed the most in this category are:
    "The nature of boats" by David Gerr
    "Boats with an open mind" by Phil Bolger
    Don't treat these books as unquestionable truths. They are well written, enjoyable to read and probably 99% correct. David Gerr's book provides a good general understanding of boats and Phil Bolgers book provides a refreshing view on boats and the beauty of boats.

The second category contain the hard fact boat building manuals. My two favourites in this category are:
    "The elements of boat strength" by David Gerr and
    "The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction" by Meade Gougeon.

David Gerr's book contain scantling rules that are easy to understand, safe and good enough for an amateur boat builder.
    Meade Gougeon's book is an instruction on how to use wood in combination with glass and epoxy when building boats. Wood/epoxy is in my opinion the modern way to build high quality wooden boats, very suitable to one-off boats and to amateur boatbuilding.

Erik

1 person likes this.
  6. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Erik

Is this the same Gougeon:http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/GougeonBook 061205.pdf ? I read part of that and loved it. Very detailed and step by step.

Is it actually the same book as the published version? I would be surprised, but sometimes authors do place their published books online.

This book was easier & quicker to read, although he CANNOT SPELL, or use his spell checker: http://spirainternational.com/PlyOnFrameManual.pdf

And to be honest, I do not like the 'rocker' look he puts on his boat designs. I do not know if a rocker is good or bad, but I like a straight look along the keel.

7. hoytedow

8. hoytedow

Scroll down this page for "Similar Threads" for a lot of interesting questions/answers to them.

9. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

Yes, the book in the link to West System seems to be exactly the same book as the paper edition I have. I guess the book can be seen as a marketing effort for West Systems' products which explains why they would put it online free to read. In this case I'm somewhat of a dinosaur and prefer paper versions, so I didn't look for it online. The paper version wasn't expensive enough for me to remember the price anyway.

There are more cases where boat enthusiast gives advice and information free of charge and at the same time try to make some money in related businesses. It doesn't diminish the value of the information, rather the opposite as their businesses would be hurt if they are shown to be unreliable.

Now that we're sidetracked to internet links, this is a link to the home page of a canoe designer and enthusiast that I've spent many hours reading and enjoying. I'll build one of his designs this winter.

http://www.thomassondesign.com/

Unfortunately for many readers on this forum, the homepage is in Swedish. Maybe you have enough knowledge of other germanic languages to make some sence out of it.

Erik

10. hoytedow

11. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

12. hoytedow

13. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Two more valuable boats for a boatshop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 805gregg

805gregg Junior Member

"Boatbuilding" by Chapelle
    " Sensible Crusing Designs" by L. Francis Herrshoff
    "Fiberglass Boats" by Hugo Du Plessis

15. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Don't forget the jug of sippin' whiskey.