Mooring Arrangement

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rdlopez, Jun 19, 2014.

1. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

I find also that Class Standards have excellent design and tables data for mooring wire/ropes data. Example Part 3 Chapter 13 of Lloyds under Ship Control Systems- define all from windlass, single point mooring, to Chapter 14-Cargo Securing Arrangements. This include design loads for windlass and deck fittings (such as bollards and other types of securing fittings).

You can download most Class Rules in this forum.

2. rxcomposite

I second that. I apprenticed in a ship when I was young and those wrist sized ropes can give an unpredictable nasty lashback which can knock a man down or even kill him. Much like being kicked by a mule.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You're right, Gonzo. I have deleted not "friendly" comments in my post #11.
    I think some, including myself, have believed that it was a boat mooring. Apparently you speak of buoys. I apologize for my mistake, if it has been.
    If not, perhaps you have no reason.

5. rdlopez

rdlopez New Member

Hi rxcomposite,

yes something like that. My intention is to get the capacity (SWL) of the bollard and the mooring lines. ABS class doesn't mention the criteria of some guide table for mooring lines and bollard SWL. IACS does for over 24M but my boat is 19.3M HSC Crewboat , i don't have any reference.

Rolan

6. rxcomposite

Rolan,

If it is less than 24 m, it is not practical to use ABS. You may use as a reference Lloyds Special Service Watercraft or DNV HSLC rules.

Both can be used as a reference even if you are not designing to Class Standard. Just don't mix and match the rules and tables as DNV, LR, ABS differs in the way they compute the Equipment Number (EN) and service restriction code. And you cannot use the one published in SONAME as it is ABS based.

Try Part 3 Chapter 3-Anchoring and Mooring arrangement of DNV HSLC rules. Use the forum search button to find the link.

I can't find any bollard design, not even in Ship Construction by Eyres. It is basically a mechanical fastening device and there are some guidelines in LR rules as I have mentioned in my previous post.

7. rxcomposite

Just read Waikikins post more intensively. Bollard, cleats, bitt, rollers (or whatever you are looking for), drawings, dimensions, and load capacity are there for design reference.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.