Monterey Boats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by SAM1, Apr 9, 2003.

1. "Boat Guy"

"Boat Guy" Guest

Life Boater

Susan - I have a question for you, Where did you buy your montery and what state do you live in? I am curious becase I have been looking at buying another boat. Have you had any problems with the boat, and if so, how was the dealership to take care of the problems? were they good to deal with? What dealer did you buy it from?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I am looking to purchase my first boat, a small one compared to the ones you all are talking about but it's a start! :) Anyways, I am looking at a 190 Edge. Does anybody know anything about this particular boat and if it's a good one? Thanks!

3. Sandi

Sandi New Member

New , so excuse me if I do something wrong!

My husband and I own a 2001 Monterey 298SS bowrider and I LOVE my boat. We have had some problems, but found that the dealer was causing more of the problems with warranty work than the factory. We like and enjoy our boat so much that we have been asked by several dealers through the factory rep to help them at their boat shows and demo days. We have sold boats to several customers that we have become good friends with and in fact we have a small unofficial boating club. We go crusing together in the summer and meet for lunch and/or dinner during the winter months to plan trips for the upcomng season.

4. maineglassman

maineglassman Mobile Fiberglass Repair

I just did some work one two montereys both brand new and on both of them the chines were completely full of air voids. It was even hard to a solid spot of glass to end the repair. I have worked for Sea Ray in Merrit Island Florida as a final finish guy on the 380 DA, also at a marina that sold Sea Ray and while all boats have their flaws I think Sea Ray is a better built boat. Take it for what you will just thought id put in my two cents. :)

5. Rmanofwar

Rmanofwar New Member

I am the new owner of a 1993 206c cuddy cabin. Well at first glance the boat appeared to be in real nice shape. I started to clean this boat up and found that some work had been done to the deck floor. After some further investigation i pulled the deck up or part of it and found a nitemare. The main stringers in this boat were completely rotted away. I don,t mean soft wood, i mean sawdust i can suck out with a wet dry vacuum. These stringers are the main support structure for the boat. well some local boat people told me i was lucky because it would have been a real possibility to sink this boat on the lake. The stringers are made out of a little 1x8 and are inclosed with fiberglass, which is were the problem seems to be. Its seems that if water or moisture gets in there is no escape. these stringers are completely rotted away. Not good for being the main support structure of the boat. I have many hours of repair in and are still tearing this baot apart. anywhere i find wood inclosed with fiberglass in this boat I find rotten wood. What a mess.
    Its lucky i am not an nasty person or i would have EGLOBALYACHTS.COM and the previous owner in court. This repair would cost thousands to someone who knew nothing about boats. I have not even gotten to the rebuilding stage yet, but have a good plan of attack for this boat and it will be better than when it came from the factory. I believe this is a major design flaw in the boat and if any engineers read this they will know exactly what i am talking about. I want my 1989 Maxum back that was a a well built boat. I would stay away from Monterey in my opinion, sea ray has a very good name and track record. Its worth the money for peace of mind. I would challenge any monterey engineer to tell me this is not a major design flaw in there boats. Want to see the proof, come look at my $9000. piece of junk. I am going to mount a fan to the windshield and pretend i am going down the lake, because thats alll i am going to be able to do with this boat for some time.I am going to take a bunch of digital pics and post them when i get a chance. I will show you the rotten bottom in this boat. My daughter said i should have taken it to the lake and sunk it, its insured. I just laughed. Good luck with your purchase, I know used boats are a crap shoot, but i would expect that the major stucture of the boat to be intact. This boat looked great from the outside, but its guts are gone. Good luck to you!!!!!!!!

6. tommym

tommym Guest

So you bought a 1993 Monterey and it's a piece of junk..... Where was this boat for the last eleven years? Do you have any idea? Did it ever have a winter cover on it?
    Maybe someone stored this boat year round without a cover ? Maybe it was too much work to take out the plug? Just the fact that the deck had problems that were visible from above means the boat was treated like S&%$
    for years. So you decide to bad -mouth a company that hasn't seen this boat in more than a decade?????????? I take proper care of my Monterey and I'm sure it will still be in perfect condition when I trade it in for a Monterey 302. I'm looking foward to that day!!!!!!! What is that old saying? something about not listening to.............................................Tom

7. Rmanofwar

Rmanofwar New Member

ya ya ya

Listen, I cannot say how well this boat was taken care of but from first look it looks real nice. The deck is not the problem, the deck is as solid as a rock. ya that seems funny to me. When i bought it a month ago it was winterized with shrink wrap on it. Like i say the boat looks great. I sold a 1989 Maxum that was as solid as a rock so it seems real funny to me that the main support struts of this boat are completly rotted away. no matter how it was taken care of, Think about it, the deck was solid and the stringer are rotten. something wrong in my eye. I wish you could see the mess in my driveway from the inside this boat, what a shame. If you knew anything about boats you could look at this thing and see that there just is know way for water to escape once inside the struts. I have a good plan for fixing it but that is not going to change the fact that these struts sit a 1& 1/2 down inside a channel and trhat there is know possible way for moisture to escape. I am going to fix this boat but the same thing will happen again to it just because of the design where these struts sit. If you could see what i am talking about you might think different. I am not trying to bad mouth Monterey but my personal feelings are i will never purchase another Monterey. A good boat 10 yrs old should still be in real good shape throughout, I know i just sold one. It just sems real funny that anywhere on this boat that Wood is enclosed with fiberglass, the wood is completly rotted away. I am open to any opinions about what people might think what caused this boat to rot away from underneath the deck.???????????????? MY Opinion is very poor design thats all.

8. tommy

tommy Guest

Can you post pictures ? I do know quite a bit about boats, and I have never seen one that doesn't have drain holes running down the centerline to the drain plug.Was the boat tilted back so the water could drain out or was there a swimming pool under the deck? The stringers are covered with glass.Do you know how the water got in ? I could see a bad spot on one of them,but not the entire boat. It still sounds like the boat was full of water for a long time.
    I have had many acess panels off my boat while I was running electronics,installing antennas and so on.The workmanship on the inside is as good as on the outside. A bigger Monterey is in my future. Tom

9. Rmanofwar

Rmanofwar New Member

ANything is possible, when you ask the question was there ever any water left down inside the boat. Was it sunk at one time or partially sunk. ?? maybe.
    But i can tell you, there is no real way for water to get out of this area of the struts once in between the fiberglass and wood. I tore some more on it last nite, the stringer are gone all but 6" in the back and about the same in the front. A good 7 to 8' are completely rotted away on both sides, yes i can post pics but i am not sure how to do that. Let me know how and i will show you the mess i have. I will have to change to way i put it back together as to not end up with the same problem again. I sure i will get rid of it far before that happens. You can bet i will research my next boat with much more detail.
    L:ike i said it a very good looking boat, thats what caught my eye in the first place, very nice lines, but don't you think even that the idea of just a 1 x 8 "
    for a structural support is a little bit under done. Or maybe i am wrong and these stringers don't have that much to to with the hull interigity of this boat, but thats not what the boat dealers around my area tell me. Well let me know how to post pics and i will, i would love for you to see the insides of this boat. Thanks for your input.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

2001 200ls

I have a 2001 200LS. I love the boat and have had few issues with it other than a terrible dealer here in Austin. The alarm feature on the mercruiser is annoying. The ski storage locker closes too fast and hard. And at times, the stero glove box is hard to open. Otherwise, the boat is a great machine that I have loved having on the lake for the past two and a half summers. We don't wakeboard, so I cannot comment on the wake or the need for fat sacks or the like.

11. jim o/neill

jim o/neill Guest

to potential momterey boat owners

To any one looking for a boat in the 26' foot range I have this to offer . I looked at every vender for a family boat in this size and price 50K range and the Montery offered the the most bang for the buck. I"m a long time boater and purchased my boat in 1999 ( 262) and run her in moderate to blue water and have been very impressed with the hull and merc I /O . She does does spray over the sporty winsheld ( I wish it was higher )

My only beef after 5 years is that the aluminum fittings on the bimini frame

I would strongly support a Monterey purchase . I wish they would tell me the best place to mount some rod holders

sincerely Jim O'Neill

12. Dickens

Dickens New Member

Monterey Boat

We have a 208SI Monterey Montura .It is extemely nice and rides smooth.
    Not a smooth ride in choppy water.We would have to get a bigger size one for that.We can easily pull water toys and manuever with ease.My husband does most of the driving.No problems at all with loading or unloading.We always get looks .It does look sharp.The upholstery is nice.The downside.
    Only fixable things we can handle.Like putting a piece of rubber wedge down the underside outside of boat. If you hit against a docking platform it can damage.Make sure you get big enough bumpers.Gets on a plane fast.I am actually in love with it.We have had others and rode in others.For the size it is a winner.Ours has a ladder front and back.We had no problem pushing it off beach either.It is nice.

13. sellbizz

sellbizz New Member

Salesman

First off the Sun Deck is a modified V hull unlike the Montura which is a deep v config. Monterey does mak a number of deck boats with better materals for a lot less. I do not which state you live in but in florida there a ton of Sea Rays, Bet you thought that was a good thing untill you have to sell yours vs someone elses what sepeerates one from another $$ who is willing to sell theres for less. For a better understanding go to www.montereyboats.com for more comparasons.

14. ozkar21

ozkar21 Guest

Buying First Boat

I Was Just Wondering If I Could Get Some Great Insight Information On Two Boats I Been Shuffling Cards Too See Which One Will Win! My Major Concern Is The Back Seats, I Was Told By A Monterey Sales Person That The 190ls Does Come With Bucket Seats As The 200ls But I Been Searching All Reachable Paths And Not One Says That It Does.

Thank You
    Ozkar21

15. jwamad

jwamad New Member

About to buy a 208SI

We are about to get a new 208SI - 1st boat. Could you tell me what you are referring to regarding the "rubber wedge." Also, which engine did you get? Any thing to look out for? Thanks,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.