Monterey Boats - a good choice?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Ian Wilkinson, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Ian Wilkinson

Ian Wilkinson Junior Member

I am thinking of buying a Monterey 215 cuddy for coastal hops in the UK - South West coast. A couple of things I would value opinions on. First of all engine options. Is the diesel engine adequate for performance? It is obviously safer [less volatile fuel] and more economical than the petrol. But there seems to be a massive gap in cc between the petrol and the diesel - 4.3 litres as opposed to the 1.7 dti. Sustained high speed and rapid acceleration are less important than the ability to sustain a reasonable cruising speed - say about 28 knots.

The other question is the competition - the Searay 215 Weekender seems another option. Which is best? The intention is to spend maybe 2 or 3 nights on the boat in reasonable comfort, allowing for the limited space.

I would also aim to keep the boat at a coastal marina - salt water, and lift and anti foul it each year.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. geoff evans

geoff evans Guest

mr

i have had three american small boats and regal are undoubtedly top quality and performance.see mbmoct 2003 they review all the 21ft cuddies,hope it helps

3. Ian Wilkinson

Ian Wilkinson Junior Member

Thanks for the response. Since posting the original message I went out for a test in the Monterey 215 at Plymouth, on Monday of this week. The boat had the 1.7l Mercruiser diesel producing 120hp. The finish of the boat was first class. Performance good - top speed with a new and tight engine was 37mph indicated, and it was happy to cruise at around 30mph. With the chine hull it would go on the plane from about 12mph. Despite the extra engine capacity the 4.3l petrol only produces about another 50hp at the cost of a massive increase in running costs.

One of the best reasons for the diesel option was the advert seen on the way back into the marina - 'Petrol 96p litre Diesel 38p litre'.

4. NautiGator

NautiGator New Member

If the Monterey you speak of is the one built in Florida, they have a great rep for being a stand up company. The factory was about 5 miles from my house at one time. I have heard stories of them replacing a boat that were left in the water over winter where the lake froze and caused some sort of hull damage. I would think this would be a case of 'if you want to be dumb, you have to be tough' (or have deep pockets), but I guess not.

5. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Diesel is always best. But go for the monterey, unless you'll consider another boat, such as a C-Dory. Better yet, get a sailboat. Had to say that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.