Monohull verses Multihull powersailers / motorsailers

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by brian eiland, Aug 8, 2004.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Just got a reply from Kit cats in regard to their kite sail and even suggested they join the kitesail discussion here.

Reply to the email
    Strange, I was just looking at it.

Yep, still there
    http://www.kit-cats.com/kite/KiteSailPowerboats.htm

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

What the most essential issue when considering btw mono/multi motorsailor is the amount of assets to throw in..
    With my few thousands € per year I can invest in about 30-35 mono in a time period of ten years. :)
    A multi giving a same internal volume and cargo carrying capabilities just would be about 6 years further away.:( and the propability of a stroke, incontinence and senility severely greater :rolleyes:

4. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Other people have saved more and spent less over the years and/or started building early enabling them to have a multi.

So, all depends when the journey started and how badly one wants it

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

With a few €k per year you can self build a magnificent boat. It's a lot about how you do it and what's at your disposal. I've seen some very nice methods and it doesn't have to be an arm and a leg.

Look at what Manie did - he made the drawings, took the cad to a laser cutter and they marked the panels on his marine ply. He cuts it out and begins the assembly. Just an example, but not weeks of measuring and working himself to death.

You may have a different method in mind, but you have to work out how you are going to do it so it is easy, less costly and in short enough time.

One is never too old to start either. You may live another 109 years (who knows) and doesn't help waiting till then. If it takes you 5 years to do, you have 104 years left to enjoy it. No use waiting 105 years and have 4 years to enjoy it in. Kinda stupid.

So, start drawing, researching, and most difficult of all, start thinking :D

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Been doing excactly that :D And I've started already building, some pictures in the gallery..

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Which gallery ? Link ?

8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Click my name above and then click view gallery

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Simple Q. Why a mono ?

10. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Couple of things.. I'm restricted to 3m width due the need for trailering the boat time to time. And like I said earlier couldn't afford a bigger cat. My design has also 1500liters capacity for tankage and to achieve similar quantities with a cat should've required much larger vessel anyway if wanted stick to cats performance characteristcs.
    The drawings in the gallery are just sketches to get some insight about the proportions. I'm a bit old fashioned what comes to plans and have done most of drawings on simple "notebook" and in larger scale on the carage wall :D More traditional typically finnish way should have been on cigarette box, but I found it a bit too restricted :p I've done kind of "reversed engineering" and drawn the hull form also with Delfship just to ensure my calcs..
    I didn't make too many frames to shape the hull (4). It's a tecnique I don't recommend to anyone unfamiliar with wood, but for someone done before clinker it's much faster way to produce a fair hull.

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Sorry Teddy, I wasn't suggesting there is anything wrong with mono hulls. Some people seem to like them and some of them even stay afloat for a while :D

I was merely wondering why you chose a mono. If that's your liking then so be it.

12. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

No worries.. I actually like cats (and tris) but just find them a bit constricted if not big enough. For cruising maybe some 38' is about where they come more atracting and such cat is somewhat compareable to 45' mono both with the interior space and price. In those sizes the real difference is the cargo carrying capability against speed. So what's the more relevant than mono vs multi likes and dislikes is the intended use of the boat.
    What comes to the discussion about capsizing hazards I believe bigger cats are extremely safe in that regard as their

13. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

continued..
    size and width make them seaworthy vessels. The biggest danger with them is pitchpoling and thats not an issue for carefull sailor. For a family or for a crew of 4 or more an excellent choice..
    Mono's are totally different and I feel, as cruiser, they are better when they are longkeeled, low aspect ratio rig, self rightening etc "old fashioned" boats. There's no other choise better for a single handed cruiser or in the "economy" class..
    Chears :)

14. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Have you any examples of that EVER happening with a motorsailer cat?

Racing cat being flogged yes,
    Fast cruiser being driven hard yes

Motorsailer ???

15. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

It's hard to say (anyway for me) what's the difference btw motorsailer cat and fast cruiser cat.. And most seem to agree that they are both combined in a modern cruising cat so.. But like I said "not an issue for carefull sailor" as we all over 40years should be.
    The most reckless thing to do for an old fart is to marry a girl around 20 but thats an other story:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.