Molding pulling away

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Logan1500, May 6, 2004.

1. Logan1500

Logan1500 Junior Member

I just purchased a used boat and as everyone knows I keep finding little issues.

The molding on the sides of the boat is pulling away. Looking at it it appears that it is held on with screws or bolts. This is where the top and bottom of the boat come together.

My thought is that I need to remove the rubber insert in the molding and re-secure the screws or replace them with bigger ones if the holes are stripped.

I am wondering if this is the correct solution and also while doing this if I should put some silicone caulk on the seam.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    John

2. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

Depending upon the design of the hull, most boats are glued and screwed together. In the past when I have joined the deck and hull together, I have initially screwed them using strainless steel screws, then laminated a couple skins on the inside of the joint, forming a watertight seal.

The aim of the rubber strip is to hide the joint, plus also act as a fender. Usually they pop off quite easily. However what concerns me is why the two structures have initially seperated in the first ply. I would therefore not seal the hull with silicome, but use something more structural like fibregalss. Mind you it can be stickly laminating upside down. Its takes a bit of practice.

Best of luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.