Transom - dual to single

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by ian_upton, Jun 23, 2009.

1. ian_upton

ian_upton Junior Member

I am looking to convert a 1962 25 foot Bertram from Twins to Single.

Let's assume that transom is dry and only moisture is directly around the drive 'keyholes'.

Also let's assume that going to a single V8 is not negotiable.

Do you tear out the whole transom core in the drive 'bump out' and replace with a solid 1 pc contigious piece of core material or do you only remove the core materail around the drive 'keyholes' and leave the rest in place?.

I have seen it done both ways... Which is preferable, easier, adaquate, stronger, etc.?

Thanks!

Ian.

2. david aymar

david aymar Junior Member

started a similar project

Hi Ian Dave here My post is just above yours ever herd of anybody trying what Iam dooing ? twin straight drives to a single outdrive. On yours I have read other posts and they sugested redooing the whole transom since you have to holes to fill thanks dave.

3. ian_upton

ian_upton Junior Member

I decided to tear everything out. Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have laminated two sheet of BS1088 Meranti marine plywood together and hope to get them in the boat soon. I decided to sandwich the plys with 1.5 oz mat, 18 oz wovenroving and 1.5 oz mat. I pulled the two sheets together with deck screws on a 6" X 6" pattern. After everything cured, I removed all screws and drilled completely through on the the 6" X 6" pattern. My thought is that this will create some bleeder holes to help make sure I do not have any air between the core and outer skin when I put it in the boat.

Using vinylester on everything.

Ian.

4. ian_upton

ian_upton Junior Member

Here is the cross section of the core.

Look at all those layers!

1.5" total thickness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ian.

5. david aymar

Nice work

Good choice

6. ian_upton

ian_upton Junior Member

Core was installed last night from the inside. Thru-bolted with 17 bolts.

Put a nice fillet in this morning and proceeded to put in the inner skin.

I was able to get 3 layers of 1708 wetout and rolled before running out of resin. Each layer inceased in size by about 3 inches.

I am fairly certain that this is thicker than the original, but I had my sights set on 4-5 layers (no reason, just because...)

I won't be able to get back to this for a while, so I am wondering if the 3 layers of 1708 are enough?

Ian.

7. ian_upton

ian_upton Junior Member

Here are a few more pictures from last weekends work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the glare. 3 layers of 1708.
    [​IMG]

Ian.

8. david aymar

Your Gettin After It

Nice work Ian it looks professional and strong enough to hold down a fully blown 454. You must have some experiance with glass. and think out of the box. I have not started my conversion yet but have just installed and proved my power train on an old hull saturday I will remove it and start my conversion soon. rock on . Dave Good choice starting fresh

9. ian_upton

ian_upton Junior Member

Thanks Dave!

Actually before this, I probably had only wet out a few yards of glass.

Most of my experience is reading on forums such as this.

I have still not decided if the three layers of 1708 are enough. One shop that I spoke with said that 2 layers would be more than enough, one advisor said I should really have 4 on there, others think as much as I can put on but keep the transom under 2 1/4" thick because of the outdrive.

If you have any suggestions, I would be open to hearing them. At this point, I'm leaning towards staying with the three layers because it is thicker than most of what I removed and it was all done in 1 lay-up so no secondary onding between layers.

Ian.

10. MAD JAX

MAD JAX Junior Member

Retro Twins to Single Out-drive conversion

Interesting thread...I'm in the throws of doing this with an '80 Formula 302.

I'd really like to go Diesel/WVO with a modified Powerglide into an Arneson 1721/ASD-6s Surface Drive...provided I can overcome the complications involved of controlling the '06 Duramax "Common Rail" diesel fuel system.

However, I may proceed with a Marinized "Pro-Jected" 454/Velvet-Drive into the Arneson, as it's ready-to-go.

I currently stand at installing the revised-spaced Stringers into the Hull and will then proceed with installing the Powertrain...Hopefull to get the boat into the water sometime this Summer : )

Hopefull too that you've been successful in expediting Your conversion, please reply with how well this project has performed, or at least, to what progress you stand-to-date...as this "Thread" is a bit dated : /

Is it working satisfactorily or have you abandoned the project?