mold release question

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by robwilk37, Jul 24, 2012.

1. robwilk37

robwilk37 Senior Member

hi all...

im building a female mold for a transom extension / modification. i think ive got my head around the bulk of it but still cant quite see the demolding step. for reasons i need not go into, the mold will be difficult to wax completely, although not impossible. im wondering if i just line the mold with spray-mounted peelply if that will be enough of a barrier between the laminate (biax/epoxy) and the mold (luan doorskin) ?

or another idea ?

thanks

2. robwilk37

robwilk37 Senior Member

follow-up...

decided to line the mold with brown packing tape... no ****.

spent 2 days laying-up biax. unscrewed the battens, and presto ! only two very small sticky spots where the epoxy made it through to the ply but for the most part i was really pleased with the result. all together the mold cost me about $20 and took a day to build. for a one-off extention this is the way to go.

now ill build up the rest of the thickness on the exterior (filling the 1/4" space occupied by the doorskin of the mold) and fair / tie-into the hull over 8 inches or so.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.