Mold material

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by erikhaha, Jan 26, 2009.

1. erikhaha

erikhaha Junior Member

I searched a lot of threads and I couldn't find what I was looking for so here goes:

I want to make a fiberglass deck for the main hull of my homebuilt trimaran. The main hull is 20' LOA with a 2' beam throughout the middle 1/3 with tapered bow & aft sections. The fiberglass deck will be in the shape of a conic section, sliced in two. Dimensions: 12' long, 0 to 24" in width and 0 - 20" in height.

I plan on making a male mold then fiberglassing that, but I can't think of what to make the mold out of. I thought about the 2" pink foam insulation sheets, gluing then together then shaping them, but I am not sure if this would be the easiest.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what would be an easier material to make this mold out of.

2. GAVIOTA

GAVIOTA DESIGNER

Hi:
    Try this and ad 5-6 foam ribs for stability, fast and cheaper than a solid foam,I hope this helps you... mold.jpg www.MyAluminumKayak.com

3. erikhaha

erikhaha Junior Member

Wow, I never thought of that. Thanks, now I just have to figure out how to bend it into this shape with the dimensions that I need. Any tips?

4. erikhaha

erikhaha Junior Member

Sorry, delete last post. I just figured it out.

5. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

" I thought about the 2" pink foam insulation sheets,"

Styrene - Its the stuff that makes fiberglass resin stink, melts styrofoam. IE that pink insulation. Been there, done that, made one heck of a mess when all the core turned to goo on us.

-jim lee