Easy way to Remove Foam?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by OGM, Sep 25, 2007.

1. OGM

OGM Junior Member

Is there an easy way to remove foam for running conduit? I've got one side of the hard top glassed and the foam attached. With the foam side up I need to remove the foam where I want to run conduit for electrical wires. I also want to inlay some 1/2 inch strips of plywood to have something to screw my supports for the curtains to. I can remove the foam with a router, but thought I'd ask the experts to see if there are any tricks to make it easy.

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Pistol grip type of soldering gun. Make shaped wire and melt out the pieces. It's sometimes slow going but a lot less mess to clean up.

3. Bayport_Bob

Bayport_Bob New Member

If the foam is polyurethane, the fumes generated from the hotwire method are poisonous.

4. OGM

OGM Junior Member

I thought they might be poisnous. For the places that needed all the foam removed down to the fiberglass I was able to use a knife and putty knife. I slit the foam into pieces and then scraped along the fiberglass to remove it. It went pretty fast. The other areas that I needed to remove 1/2 inch for the plywood inlay I am using the router - lots of dust in the garage, but really not too bad.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Next time try a Japanese ryobi saw (though any hand saw will do). The saw practically falls through foam, and it can be held to a curve too.
    Vee-cuts would remove the whole piece. Or make two parallel side cuts and pop out chunks.

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

find a broke band saw blade,,just be easy on ya "grip",,you'll know if you hanging on too tight,,,jus member(pink=good,,purple= grip too tight)