Mokai jet boats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by alaskamokaiman, Feb 10, 2007.

1. alaskamokaiman

alaskamokaiman Junior Member

:) Ken,

Sorry to here this. I am sure that it had to be something with the computers because the company has the best customer service that I have ever gotten.

Even after the boat was a year past its warrenty they would not let me pay for parts when I broke something.

And being that I am so far away from the factory and traveling in the boat to the middle of nowhere I ask to purchase a few spare parts just in case. they sent them to me and again would not let me pay for them.

The customer service was soo good that I ask if I could become thier Alaskan Dealer, at that time the answer was "No we sell factory direct only".

I For 3 years I ask everytime that I talked with them if I could be thier dealer because I love this little boat so much.

I have had many great adventures in them, the handicapped kids that I put in them come back smiles as big as they get, if that was all they got used for I spent my monies very well.

You do get wet, but I get wet in almost every small boat that I get in because I push the limits.

If there are any questions I would be glad to answer them PM me or post them here. I will tell you the good and the bad .

I will tell you that the first bad thing I found out about this little boat is that one is not enough, you can go but others can't follow.

Cheers,
    Andy

2. alaskamokaiman

Back to the original question

I heard a lot of naysayers on increasing power.

But with the weight that I (me myself) put in the boat I slow it down by 4 or 5 miles so increasing it a little would still be in the original design limits.

I believe that the impeller is designed to turn at up to 6000 rpm and is only using 3600 of that so the question is again how to increase rpm and maintain torque or increase torque.

As a motor increases in rpm the torque falls off. I have had the rpm up to 7000 rpm but there is no torque and it slows the boat.

I have many hundred hour in this boat and am sure that the hull can take the increase in speed. It is a very stable platform.

So any information that would help in this would be greatly appreciated.

We all would like a little more power I am not trying to get crazy just increase speed.

3. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Why not use a go-kart engine? They don't have the governors that limit the engine's RPM like the industrial engines do. Maybe a B&S Animal engine would work for you:

http://www.briggsracing.com/display/router.asp?Docid=101372

4. klondikejim

klondikejim New Member

I totally agree

I totally agree on the need to work together on a dome/or even a wind shield. Need to also design a multiple boat trailer with slots that cradle the boat for storage and transportation. I put on the ore locks and some plastic cleats for towing/mooring if necessary. Looks pretty nice, and is sure awesome to have the ores at your finger tips, for when the sea weed gets in the intake. That brings up another mod I need, some sort of mesh on the intake, as the current set up just asks the sea weed to clink to it.

I will get to put their customer service to the test Monday. Finally had a sunny day and took all 3 boats out with the family. One of them, never previously ran, just kept stalling out. I took the cover off it, and it ran fine. I put the cover back on, and it would sputter and die out. I then moved the engine to another boat, and the same thing happened to the other boat. I cant see the engine cover touches any part of the choke or anything, but I can only assume that there is something wrong with the choke assymbly, and when the cover is on it, it pulls it out a bit or something, causing it to flood and die. Wife wants to buy a spare engine now, as the beautiful sunny day was spoiled on our first go. I am sure they will take care of me. Shipping that engine back and forth going to cost a fortune though, I am sure.

5. DaveH1

DaveH1 Junior Member

Muscled-up Mokai

The engine developed by Powerski for their jetboard certainly has potential to be a platform for something like the Mokai, but more powerful: http://www.powerski.com/content/psi_index.php

Apparently, this engine/drivetrain has been squeezed into a short whitewater playboat kayak: http://www.jetkayak.co.uk/splash.htm Skimpy web site, but you get the idea.

I think there is an unfilled niche in the market for a bigger, faster, lower-to-the-water jet kayak for duck hunting, shallow-water fishing and birdwatching, exploring, ....

Seaworthy, maneuverable, and still drafting only 4" or so. A design challenge, yes. But doable.

Manufacturers, are you listening??

dave

6. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

I'm not what you might call a "manufacturer" at this stage of the game but nevertheless I am listening ...

I had the same idea myself (more or less) so I came up with a design that should do most of what you want -- not faster but far more versatile. It does not require a jet so it eliminates the clogging hassles and inefficiency and expense of jet propulsion:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16643&page=3

My post is #37 on the above page. I am interested in feedback on this design, good, bad or otherwise. Thanks.

7. DaveH1

DaveH1 Junior Member

Ken,

I gave you some feedback on the other thread.

thanks,

dave

8. alaskamokaiman

Looked at the power ski motor 2 years back, lots if bucks, not very gas efficient and heard that they were having an oiling issue, plus it is water cooled so would need to add that as well.
    It is an interesting concept I know of only one here and it is first line demo production NFS.

9. tananaBrian

tananaBrian Junior Member

Hey Alaska Mokai Man...

Mind if I ask where you are located and what rivers you use your Mokai on? I live in Fox, work in FBX...

Brian

10. alaskamokaiman

Brian I live in Palmer and have used the Mokai on Big Su, Little Su, Willow, Little Willow, Knik, 20 mile, Telkeetna, Ptarmigan, Placier, too many to list all.

I take them out on the rotten ice in the spring, I need to figure out how to post that footage.

Have done over 100 miles this year on the ice and water.

If you have any other questions or get down to this area and want to take a ride PM me.

Cheers

11. tananaBrian

Thanks! PM your contact info... be fun to check out a Mokai.

How does it do for gas mileage? Usually jets aren't so good at sipping fuel, but the Mokai version might be ...compared to V8's and jet-conversion outboards running on motors not designed for it.

Brian

12. alaskamokaiman

Brian,

8 hours of run time on 3 gallons of gas, not a jet ski but will get you there.

907 745-2636 will get you in contact with me.

Cheers,
    Andy

13. tananaBrian

8 hours on 3 gallons? Pretty good!

So yeah, I wouldn't mind taking a closer look at one. First one that I saw was on top of a truck here in Fairbanks at Sam's Club. They were gone before we got out of the store but I googled it and found more info. My real interest might be in adapting the Mokai engine/jet combo to other applications (old fat guys like me need regular boats :D )

Thanks,
    Brian

14. alaskamokaiman

Part of the pump housing is molded into the boat so you can't use the pump for other applications unless you have a shop build the needed parts, and the company will not sell you the the pump.

15. tananaBrian

Those sly devils! Figures... :(

Brian

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.