Moisture cured urethane paint

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by M&M Ovenden, Jun 14, 2009.

1. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Hi,

It looks like moisture cured paints are gaining popularity in industrial applications. I was wondering if anybody has used this type of paint on any steel boat projects ?

example: (but not the only manufacture)
    www.mcucoatings.com

I'm wondering if MCU's are sold on how well they protect vs how they can be applied in tougher environments & with lower VOCs.

Cheers,
    Mark

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Whole offshore platforms have been painted with that, so it will also be good for your steel hull. But bear in mind that the keyword is moisture, not water, rain etc. The surface needs to be dry and clean like for any other paint system, the moisture in the air replaces the hardener/catalyst.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

Impressive advertised properties. I'll try to find some and try.

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

IMHO the success or failure of a paint coating is very much related to the thickness of the coating. Thin coats are often easily compromised no matter how tough the paint every little impurity dust particle or discontinuity becomes a little stress riser which in a thin coating leads to local failure. Anodic protection speeds up this failure through cathodic paint disbondment.

A big advantage of epoxies is a high build thickness with each coat. Some of the epoxies are now applied with coatings up to 3mm with each application and this is common in demanding marine environments. Building up 150 microns with several coats is never going to be as good as applying 1000 microns and I really doubt you'll ever see urethanes as an economic or effective base coat on commercial submerged structures.

cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.