Que on two styles of Hulls?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by thudpucker, Jul 11, 2012.

1. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I have a V-bottom 12' aluminum skiff.
    I want to build a Jon boat. Lewis boats has a good sketch of what I want.

I'm wondering why the V-bottom I have is so tippy?:mad:
    Is it me? Old and ill coordinated.:confused:
    Or is it the design?

Is there any hidden problems with the 12'X48" Jon?

I'm sure hoping I can still fish in the lake from a boat, instead of from the bank.:(

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

As v-bottom of your boat rises away from the keel you lose buoyancy when your weight transfers to the sides.

Attached Files:

3. JohnMcC

JohnMcC JohnMcC

As a rank amatuer who is somewhat intimidated by the experience and knowledge of others on this forum, I'll just say a couple of things about your question regarding v-bottom vs flat-bottom small boats and the useful sort of "stability" I imagine you are looking for, Mr Pucker. The v-bottom is probably quite stable once it leans over onto one side or the other. Your problem is that the "floor" under you is now tilted. And to get to the other side of the boat, you have to 'flip' it onto it's other side -- whereupon everything is tilted the other way. If that's the problem, then a flat-bottom Jon Boat is probably the solution. If you are trying to sail the boat (where a considerable force is exerted trying to tilt the boat over) or are dealing with waves of considerable size, the "stability" takes on a whole new meaning because the water under the boat becomes tilted.

So if you're thinking of a pond or lake where the water is almost always flat, I bet the flat bottom boat will suit you.

I'm dealing with a similar question -- that I want a 'stable' skiff that I can stand up in and cast a lure around a small pond behind 'mi casa' or a tidal mangrove bank at the edge of Tampa Bay. But would also like to be able to sail the boat recreationally. I'm looking at the CLC "Jimmy Skiff" and the UncleJohn's Gen'l Store Bayeau skiff. Those seem to be designed to do both things 'pretty well'. Not as steady under-foot as a Jon boat, not as good a sailer as a swampscot dory, but 'pretty good'.

Enjoy!

4. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Yeah on all your info John.

My problem is one of Balance and Recovery.
    Some time ago I fell backwards in this V boat. The Seat broke.
    Laying with my head down in the bow, feet and legs up above the Gun'l, I couldn't get up. I got hold of the Gun'l and pulled, but could only reach one side.
    Somehow I wound up with my Feet n legs outside the boat, and when I tried to sit up, I rolled the boat over on its Port Bow.
    By now my Feet n' Legs were in the water. the Gun'l was about to go under, water was pouring into the boat....
    I went ahead and fell out of the boat, so it wouldn't capsize, dumping all my fishing gear into the lake.

No problem really. The water was warm. I swam the boat over to the beach. Pulled the bow up on the Beach, pulled the plug etc etc.
    I always put that PFD on as soon as the boat's in the water.

Another time, I rowed the Bow up onto the Beach. Got up to walk out of the boat, over the bow, and the V bottom boat rolled over on it's side, and dumped me out, face first into the muddy beach.
    Now I land the Stern first.
    Those are my reasons for the flat-bottom Jon boat style.
    I row in this little lake. No motor or any Motor stiffeners are necessary.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Flat bottom boats are stable, but lack comfort when motoring at speed into chop and wakes. So, much so, that most skilled with their flat bottom boat, will intentionally heel it over a bit, so the chine will help ease the teeth jarring ride.

V bottoms on the other hand, are softer riding at speed, of course depending on the amount of V employed. This decreases initial stability when walking around inside it. This is the cost of the comfort trade off.

So, you need to decide what you want, comfort underway and the ability to get through rough patches of water or comfort under foot chasing down a hooked monster.

This said, there are a few designs that have both initial stability and a comfortable ride underway. Cat hulls are known for this, the Boston Whaler shape or the sea sled (it's forefather) and a few others that incorporate big wide lifting strakes and healthy deadrise.

My point being, first decide what you want and what's most important, then pick a hull shape best suited.

6. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

You can probably get a blend of stability and comfort with a displacement type hull, if you are prepared to sacrifice some speed. I suppose it depends how far you have to go - or how big the lake is. You'd save some fuel . . .