L20 Beach trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

L20

Another ,"modern", damn good looking small tri w/o foil assist. It amazes me....

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

You should jump into the thread on pinoy.boats and suggest it Doug. They had quite an interesting discussion in there about home built beams, hulls and masts they would probably like discussing foils too particularly the home made type.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------------------
    I read part of it and the designer likes the concept of a submersible ama as a way to depower, if I understood him correctly. So be it.....

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I dont necessarily think the two concepts are incompatible. A low buoyancy float matched to foil assist could be a really nice combination and save weight as well particularly on a small trimaran. It would just be tricky to decide how to distribute the volume, you would probably just focus on minimum rocker, keeping the volume low to the waterline to try and keep pitch under control and minimise drag and maybe a T foil rudder? It would be an interesting project.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

----------------------
    Low buoyancy amas with foil assist is the way to go for a high performance, beachcat killing trimaran, in my opinion. I'd design the ama for intermittent contact with the water and use a single, retractable, curved lifting foil. The main hull would have a wand controlled lifting foil on the daggerboard and a rudder t-foil. That would allow a wide tri to fly the main hull in light air and the two main hull foils would control pitch in the toughest conditions. The faster the boat goes the more the main foils unload and resistance drops.

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Excellent find, Corley. These blokes are on the RIGHT track. Just imo of course.

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Yeah I liked their home build focus of the design and the wingmast discussion. It's pretty cool to see people building things and testing out ideas.

9. samaloutrigger

samaloutrigger New Member

I apologize to bring up this old thread. I just want to redirect the broken link from the original post to a another website of the L20 Trimaran, to www.samaloutrigger.com

A boatplan is also available at WoodenBoat.

[​IMG]

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Nice looking boat, except for the very low displacement amas.
    I don't think this would work well with the Tornado rig and such low ama volume when the effective beam (seated position vs ama) is the same as a Tornado ~10'.
    I bet it trips quickly over the lee ama bow.
    Of course, pasting on a foil can solve everything. That was a little sarcasm. Perhaps the akas will need to be increased in size for "flying".
    And putting reverse bows on the boat will automatically make it more "wholesome".

Perhaps we should see it sailing.

11. samaloutrigger

The Tornado rig will submerge that ama over 20knot wind. More than that, this is how we sail a boat with very low displacement Ama and big sails;

Doug Lord and rwatson like this.
  12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Great to watch. They should make that "class" worldwide. Home-built, innovative and exciting to watch.

13. Lurch723

Lurch723 Junior Member

I think the key thing here is to use more crew weight to balance the boat as with my boat, it's quite surprising how well this amount of bouyancy will work with that long lever arm, giving the crew plenty of time to either move further outboard or dump some power from the main sheet. But your quite right the high aspect ratio of the rig will tend to push the bow down under acceleration. Great looking machine though, I'd have one if I hadn't already built my own, it looks really well proportioned and balanced.

14. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Now that is some pure sailing.
    Thanks for the video.

Makes what's done around here seem pretty tame.

15. samaloutrigger

It's my pleasure to share the video of our Paraw traditional sailboat. The concept behind the L20 Trimaran is based from Paraw.

The 22 sq.m sail area of L20 Trimaran is really meant for leisure sailing at less than 20knots of wind. What seems to be low displacement Ama from a "multihull world" point of view, is actually more than plenty from our perspective (outrigger world). We love to bring friends or family (as moving ballast) to enjoy sailing and the seascape as well.

Doug Lord likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.