Introductions and dream boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tagged, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Tagged

Tagged New Member

Howdy from Texas, everyone.

As this is my first post, I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm not a designer, but my dad was an engineer, so I sometimes convince myself that makes me more qualified. I'm a liberal arts major, former teacher, and current lawyer. Math may not be my strong suit. (understatement).

I've been lurking here a long time, and finally decided to join, so I could see if you all would give some feedback for me.

I'm trying to decide what boat design would best fit my needs.

I've spent a lot of time over on Jacques Mertens's site, thinking I'd build one of his designs. I really like some of his boats. But I've yet to find one that fits my needs.

So I'm hoping that I can get some new ideas here. Rather than start with what design I think I need, I just want to post my "needs", and see what you all recommend.

Thanks in advance to all ideas. (design parameters to follow)

Tag

2. Tagged

Tagged New Member

Okay, here's what I'm looking for. I recognize that some compromises might need to be made.

Plan: Planing monohull for 1-2 adults or 1 adult and his 2-3 kids.

Primary use: Fishing small, shallow bays and tidal estuaries. Water depth 1-7 ft. Smooth to 2' chop. Comment: Much of the fishing we do is in very shallow estuaries, requiring a very shallow draft. But to get to the fishing grounds, we have to cover a lot of water, some of which may be choppy.

Deck layout: Primarily an open boat, with center console for controls, and casting deck forward.

Speed: Dream boat speed would be 40-45mph top and 30mph cruise. I'd be happy with top speed around 35mph and cruise around 27mph.

Okay, That's it. I've got ideas about what that boat would look like, but I'm not saying what. I want to see what everyone else thinks. Maybe I've been overlooking something obvious.

Thanks again everyone!

Tag

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

sounds like a small bass boat...check out GlenL or ClarkCraft for ideas.

Steve

4. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Here's the 2 we use. The skiff is for 2 adults. The big Jon handles a family + a friend or 2. Both are stable, (important with kids onboard). Both are shallow.
    We crab & shrimp with the jon, so it lacks the fancy trims, etc..
    Skiff is 20' X 6', the jon is 24' X 8'.

Attached Files:

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What you want is a "Sea Sled" either the Hickman style or one of the modern interpretations.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.