Lobster Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by S17665, Mar 22, 2008.

1. S17665

S17665 Designer

Hi, i would like to design a powerboat in american style.
    I'm oriented around a modern lobster boat that are fashionable in this time.
    My ideal lobster-boat have that configuration.

Loa 15 m
    Beam 4,60
    Displacement 20 tons

I want to study the perfect planing hull forms for this type of boat,build one or more models in scale.
    What do you think about these images?
    I'm in the right direction?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My research area is pointed about spray rails and lifting strakes for this hull.
    I know that everyone have a personal method and that aren't a right rule to follow for find a perfect position of Srails and Lstrakes
    Only solution is to make a CFD analysis but anyone can help me to find a document around this study?
    Thanks a lot

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

o.k. Satan,,,,dont put lobstermen down like that,,,hehe,,we call it a "downeaster (pronounced "dawn easta" and i think theres a " ' " in there somewhere hehe ;) ) i built many of em,, but i "put things" where THEY told me to,,, sorry,,, but some of the models that "millionaires" go after you could look at,,,,Hinckley,,Morris,,Jonathen Williams,,and MANY more,,look at boat builders around maine ,,they build ALOT of the "types" boats your looking for ;)

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The sheer is all wrong for this style of craft as is the hull form. The boat you're looking to mimic is well documented and round bilged not hard chine. Most of these where semi displacement shapes, not full plane.

[​IMG]

The style you're looking for (26' hull)

[​IMG]

The lobster boat races in Friendship a few years back.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

If you wanted a hull like the so called American "lobster boat", your drawing is all wrong for that type. You have drawn a full planing hull with a hint of hook to the keel buttocks. Not at all like the semi-displacement and round bilged lobster boat with maybe a bit of rocker to the buttocks lines.

5. S17665

S17665 Designer

I didn't want to offend lobstermen with my idea.
    I have mistaken to call it lobster , the only lobster's detail are the arrangement of the deck and the pilot house.
    I'm inspired by toymarine and mochicraft boats to forge a new concept of
    ''false lobster yacht''.
    The lobster are similar then Sicilian Fishingboat and i love it because remember the classic style of my land
    http://www.pozzallo.it/site/uploads/photos/54.jpg.

6. S17665

S17665 Designer

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i was just playing with ya,,,some "lobsta humor" sorry hehe ;)
    you took it VERY well,,,congrats,, and Hello ,,very nice ta meet ya ;)
    you now may be "allowed" to build a "lobsta" style boat hehe ;)

8. S17665

S17665 Designer

Nice to meet you ,too
    I hope that a day i' ll build a yacht .I'm only a student tired to study stress and give a regular size at stringers or other parts of a ''COLD'' tanker...:mad:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.