Modify Sailboat to Semi planing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Doug Meyer, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Doug Meyer

Doug Meyer Amateur Boat Designer

Cheers Easy, Thanks, looks like I have got a "Semi Nod" from you,PAR and Mr Eff and its a go.

Just got to finish my Tunnel Cat (See my photos) which I built by Eye only, no calc's (Ok I admit had to build it twice to get the shape right hence the request for the "Force")
    I Need to finish off the paint and sell it to clear the workshop for the new project..

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'd have gone the scale model testing route. Swimming pool or duck pond, fishing rod and line, see how the resistance changes when you exceed "hull speed", ( simply by watching the wavelength) compared to the original. Making changes with foam back and forth till you find a happy result. Or not !

3. Doug Meyer

Its a good idea and not on the shelf,once I have measured up the boat might build a model and have different bottoms i can change.Rod and line I hadn't thought of was going to tow it with a scale to check resistance at the different speeds.

4. Doug Meyer

Hi all I did it, modified the hull finally tested it today. 17ft modified sailboat cruise 12 knots top speed 18 knots. I have put 2 videos up on you tube here is the link.

https://youtu.be/jmWanXXf6OY

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Looks like you've done well there.

6. Doug Meyer

Hi Mr Eff I will be putting up pictures of the build in the next couple of weeks on you tube I will post a link when done.

7. Doug Meyer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.