Check valve for speedo?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Lawrence101, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Lawrence101

Lawrence101 Junior Member

I recently purchased a complete set of Teleflex instrument gauges. I have a question regarding the speedometer pitot tube assembly unit.
    The question is, do I need a check valve or ballast between the pick-up device and speedo gauge ?
    I read somewhere that water may siphon up into the tube and possibly get into the gauge housing. Does anyone have any idea of this ? or is this just an old fisherman's tale :)

Lawrence

2. flyfish

flyfish New Member

I've never had a check or antisiphon valve in the speedo tube and have never had any problems. Speedometer is above the water line and my speedometer tube has been fastened up under the gunwale.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They work with vacuum so there is no positive pressure. They sometimes have a small restrictor to keep the gauge from jumping.

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

they actually work by differential pressure, it compares stagnation pressure with free stream pressure across a sealed diaphragm or drum. If you have a check valve in it, the pressure can only go one way, it will build pressure up and not be able to relieve it on the other side of the check valve, the needle will peg and be useless. It not only will not work, you do not want a check valve in the system at all.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Good thinking Petros!
    There will get some water in the tube at speed, but it will never reach the gauge unless it is installed in the bilge.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

NO Vacuum --no flow it just compresses the air in the tube --it wont travel more than 3 feet up the tube unless it has a leak at the guage.

Aircraft Pito tubes are identical. Gonzo if you disconnect the pipe on your speedo guage you will get your feet wet.

Suck on the guage and nothing will happen blow and it rises.

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

love gonzo

8. Lawrence101

Lawrence101 Junior Member

Just as i thought, thanks guys for the confirmation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.