Modified Tunnel Hull Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jon916996748, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Jon916996748

Jon916996748 New Member

Hey, I'm a student working on a Solar Splash boat. We are considering a new hull design and I have a few questions in general about our idea. The competition basically consists of a Sprint and Endurance. Our current hull is a hybrid mix between a displacement and a planeing. The current top three teams have the same relative setup. So we would like to make a boat completely different from their designs. Our idea is to take a Tunnel hull, make the sponsons fairly narrow to reduce drag in the endurance and place a hydro-foil on the rear driveshaft to push the back end out of the water so effectivly the boat is only pushing the sponsons. As for sprint, a tunnel hull already seems to be one of the more stable and faster hulls. We have and would like to use a surface piercing drive system. Also we would like to do an inboard design to get slightly better weight distribution. Does this idea sound fairly competitive from a hull design standpoint? I am more involved in the electrical aspect and no one on our team has any experience with hull design.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.