Modified Bolger “Idaho” for tourism. Safe Design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tropical Sailor, Oct 10, 2013.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

2. pinetar

pinetar Junior Member

Andy,

Why did you choose this particular design? I always enjoy looking at Bolger designs and have build one of his sail boats (Windsprint). Bolger/Payson books are some of my favorites.

I'm not keen on this particular design for electric propulsion. I would look at a traditional displacement fantail launch design. Bolger designed one but you can also probably find designs of finer lines.

A fantail launch with fine entry and exit might be much more suited to electric propulsion. The hull could be strip built and might have more longevity than today's plywood. Molds/frames could be CNC cut and you could use "egg crate" frames to add some strength and provide structure for holding motor/batteries/flotation. One of the things I like about strip construction is that it can be done in spare time adding strips as times allows.

I would probably seek the advice of a marine architect, insurance people, and authorities before going with a design. The minute public/money gets involved it gets complicated.

3. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Selway-Fisher makes some awesome steam/electric propulsion fantail yachts that are very seaworthy...also done in strip plank too...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.