Modifications...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by roeslerjd, Aug 16, 2006.

1. roeslerjd

roeslerjd Junior Member

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a question about designing and building a boat. I want to build a Classic Mahogany Runabout and have found a few plans online, but there are some aspects that I would like to change about these boats; 1. From a Prop with the engine mounted in the forward part of the boat, to a Jet drive where the weight will be moved aft, 2. The lay out of the cockpit, 3. Add a swim platform and some other modifications to the boat.

Now my question is should I order the plans for this boat and modify the plans or would it just be easier to design the boat from scratch. The primary use of the boat will just be just to have some fun out on the ocean, but still close to the coast, I am not concerned about having a super high top end and would like to be able to beach the boat with out worrying about damaging the prop (that is why I am choosing a Jet Drive)

Any input would be appreciated.

2. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

similar design

There is a design very similar to what you want on the forum.

Perhaps you can exchange some ideas.

http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13213

Attached Files:

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

he... nice design but have a few mistake... so u have play with it a wee bit.

Student

4. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Your design

But Westlawn, i thought it was your design?

Original quote from the text above:
    The one from this thread:
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13213

5. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I know. That why I know the bed is way to up in front and the windscreen glass is too pointing up, the windows are not in a straight line.... and others.

Cheers

Edit: I am not westlawn, but 5554x thanks

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi roesler,
    You'll almost certainly be better off working from plans. Look for something that was designed with jets in mind- monohedral V hulls, with nothing obstructing the last few feet before the pump, tend to fare better with jets than more radical shapes do.
    I should warn you, although jets do have the advantage of not knocking a blade off the prop when you hit a rock, they don't particularly like a lot of shallow waters. Rocks, sand and weeds can all get sucked into the pump; rocks can do serious damage very quickly while sand tears bearings to shreds. If you have a lot of beaching in mind, an electric kicker or something like the JetPack from Bond Marine (not sure if they're still around, the last info I have is from 1998- ph. 619-579-9763 in El Cajon CA) would be a good idea.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.