Modern wooden sailing boat ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Edina, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Edina

Edina New Member

Hello, I am looking for a modern wooden sailing boat, one that has contemporary design. If anyone knows one please post a link or other info. I'm looking for such for research reasons - not to purchase one. Any size or type.

Wood is beautiful material and it's a pity that design has not developed really since 50's. Well, at least I have not found any contemporary designs yet. There are wooden boats that are called modern but are actually far from it.

2. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

3. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

As in it was originally designed for the vendee, later changed for cruising as pictured. It still goes ust as fast as before.

4. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

6. Edina

Edina New Member

Thanks, very interesting, Patterson trimaran has something to it.
    However, most of the wooden boats are classic design even if they would be new. Nothing wrong with classic though - it's by the way amazing how many people react negatively when I mention 'contemporary design wooden boat'. As if it would be somehow plasphemous.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are many modern racing boats in wood. Look at the minitransat for example

8. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Edina, I hope by now your research has proven your previous comments, about wooden boats not being modern, a bit premature.

I remember a cover of WoodenBoat magazine a few years ago that had a VOR, Vendee, Open 60 or similar on the cover, you don't get more modern then these.

Wood as a building material has a displacement/size range where it's very competitive with other building materials. It's this reason small craft have a large wooden representation. There are many modern, some very modern and in fact cutting edge sailors available. I have a few that I'm offering too, one (RYD-14.6) in the gallery is being built locally, is about 120 pounds and modern in most regards. It'll also scream by most plastic contemporaries of similar size.

10. maxsalgado

maxsalgado Junior Member

11. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Not a bad looking school project there.

I just watched the video in the link. The designer says the open transom is an aero benefit, like opening the tailgate on a pickup truck.

I guess he doesn't know much about the aerodynamics of pickup trucks, with regard to tailgate open or closed.

12. maxsalgado

maxsalgado Junior Member

Ye haha I dont thik he watches mythbusters, but I think that could work for boats sinse the dont have such a big cabin, nor they go as fast as truck to create a vacuum under it

13. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

modern wooden boats are usually not just wooden
    they are composite epoxy glue / wood
    half their construction may be glue
    so you cant call them wood

14. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Someone care to define contemporary or modern?
    When bowsprits started to get fashionable again did people go <Eww.. Look how antiquated...>
    Now all the vendee boats got bowsprits.
    Soon people will get over their hangup over non triangular sails. I know , i know , Gasp! The shock etc.

Is this contemporary?

Attached Files:

15. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.