Modern square-rigger?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ekiqa, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ekiqa

ekiqa New Member

What would the rig of a modern square-rig look like, if designed for a reduced crew, but NOT a DynaRig?

Would it be possible for in-spar sail furling on all masts?

And what of stay sails? Would it be possible for them to be equipped with furlers, as most jibs are furled?

A clipper of similar size to Maltese Falcon, but with a classic look to her?

2. LP

LP Flying Boatman

semi=modern square rig

S. S. Rabl did a square rig design the 1947 version of his book "Boat Building in your own Backyard." He put tracks on the yards and furled the sails to the mast. I couldn't tell you if it's designed for a reduced crew. I thnk he did it for the Sea Scouts so I suspect their was no shortage of deck hands. It looks like a fun design, but I'm not too sure of the practicality.

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Square Rigger, but not Dynarig

I’m having little trouble figuring out what you want to accomplish by way of your original posting. :confused:

Is it an ‘appearance factor’ that most drives your desires? Do you disapprove of the ‘modern’ appearance of Maltese Falcon’s dynarig, and you want something more traditional in appearance? Are you willing to put up with the traditional staying of the traditional square rigger as opposed to the ‘free-standing mast’ of the dynarig? It is this free-standing aspect that sets its looks apart from the tradition rig. Of course realize you will lose significant windward ability with traditional rigging.

Is this your desire to make the traditional square-rigger more user friendly for short-handed sailing? Are you asking if the rectangular sails can be furled up in a horizontal manner about the yardarms? This is highly doubtful due to the ‘arched’ shape of these yards. Even if you could furl the sail about a curved arc, you could not attain a proper curved arc attachment at the opposite edge of the rectangular sail.

Is there an economic factor, or a complication factor in your question? Do you have a problem with the perceived cost and/or complication with the dynarig solution on Maltese Falcon, and you are looking for another solution(s)??

I do have in mind a vertical furling solution for the rectangular sails that could simplify the situation, and lower the cost to build.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.