David Ger's calculation vs ISO standard

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Samnewbie, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Samnewbie

Samnewbie New Member

Hello everyone,
    My name is Sam, and i am a foreign student of boat design course in Unitec auckland new zealand. i want to find out the most suitable structural arrangement for my 14.5 meter's project boat, it is a day sailing charter boat.

I understand elements of boat strength and principles of yacht design are good books for the starting point and I have calculte the scantling by using david's formula. But as a requirement for my course, I need to compare with other standards, such as ABS/ISO rule. I have read ISO rule which is ISO 12215-3:2002 - Small craft -- Hull construction and scantlings, but i find it hard to understand and it confuse me sometimes.

So I am asking help here from all you experts. What should I do?
    And I find my situation is very simlar with this thread, http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/structural-arrangement-6516.html
    but he did not give an answer at the end.

Thanks in advance!!

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

3. Samnewbie

Samnewbie New Member

thank you very much for your reply, dat helps alot!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.