Modern junks, traditional aesthetics

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by saphirex, Oct 14, 2006.

1. saphirex

saphirex New Member

Attached Files:

2. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Yes, circumnavigate is no problem for this old design... only problem is it is not very fast and you can be easily chase by pirate...

I think

3. Duma Tau

Duma Tau Junior Member

Pirates? We eat 'em for breakfast!

Not very fast.........

Strange statement to hear!

I assume you have not sailed one of these craft, westlawn?

Recently my Junk overhauled the annual Clyde Largs regatta racing fleet as we passed by a group of high islands in a moderate F5 gusting 6-7.

With two panels of mainsail reefed, we were enjoying a quiet family cruise, when the wind increased suddenly. No further attention was required to the rig or trim. She just got on with the job: safe, fast, upright sailing.

The Junk heeled at 5degrees, whilst the "racing" crews were hanging off their weather rails trying to minimise the heel on the "modern"Bermudan designs.

It was extremely apparent that the Junk Du Plaisance "DUMA"was not only FASTER by a good margin, but she was a way way better seaboat, our crew nonchalantly enjoying afternoon tea on the poop deck, with no foul-weather gear needed either. High, and most certainly dry.

Incidentally we were doing 10 knots true, recorded on a calibrated trailing log, on the same compass course as the racers. It was a broad reach, which is good for a Junk, but nevertheless, we were FAST. It was a blast to be there man......:cool:

Have a look at my album pics.

1 person likes this.
  4. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

OK... My appologies... it seem I may have ride the wrong borrowed junk... I was trying to design a fast junk... the hull 3 side maybe the problem for it slowness.

5. Duma Tau

Duma Tau Junior Member

Three sides to every story

Sure , no problem Westlawn.

A person who admits error is a wiser one afterwards.

I should know, I make lots of mistakes!:(

Sounds like you borrowed a junk one time to try it out?
    Was it perhaps a flat-bottomed river or harbour junk for cargo?

There are many many junk types, working in rivers, harbours, lakes, inlets and seas; all with differing sailing qualities methinks.

Rest assured that SOME junks are fast and weatherly. The JDP is one such.

I was pleased, then delighted , then amazed at her speed when DUMA showed me her qualities on successive voyages a few days and wind-speeds apart.
    Her power is awesome to feel when the wind obliges.
    The sound of salty bubbles hissing past in her quarter-wake is music to my ears.

I would love to hear of your success in finding a fast junk for your own use.
    To be sure, it is a worthwhile quest.

Good Luck!:)

6. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

yeh... I am still in Hybride ... meaning only utilized the junk rig sail quality for endurance and strength... I was having a concept to make it catch more air... more suface but managable...

There is too many version of junk rig sail... I am trying the multi sail goosewing concept... but going to built a simple wind tunnel to try with the sail monintor with different weight load on a model . I just try it for fun...

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Westlaw, I think that you would learn a lot, (and probably contribute positively) if you joined these guys:

"Voiles de Jonques" (Junk Sails)

"L'Association " Voiles de Jonques" (association loi 1901) a été créée en octobre 2004, pour promouvoir le gréement de jonque et favoriser son développement ainsi que toutes manifestations et activités culturelles s'y rapportant. Elle souhaite favoriser les contacts entre amateurs de ce gréement, développer des liens avec toute société ou association poursuivant des buts analogues et mettre à disposition de ses membres toutes les informations techniques qu'elle pourra réunir. "

I bet they speack English.:)

This group was formed in 2004 and their objective is the development of the junk rig and all the cultural linked connections, including cultural exchanges with Asian countries.

These guys are not unknown to the nautical world, and at least one of them is a well known French Naval Architect.

http://voilesdejonques.free.fr/asso/asso.php?page=presentation

http://voilesdejonques.free.fr/technique/technique.php?page=plans

http://voilesdejonques.free.fr/technique/technique.php?page=plans&architecte=michaud

http://www.mandragore2.net/jonques/jonques.php?p=jc_michaud

http://www.jc-michaud.com/presentation.htm

I guess that you and Ari would be very welcomed in this group and could be very useful in the historical research and in the development and perfecting of the rig.

8. Duma Tau

Duma Tau Junior Member

Vega is correct; this is an excellent association!

A fact often overlooked with junks is their highly efficient rig.

Another is the ease of handling, NO winches required.

Reefing is a one-hand operation.......in any wind, without course alteration.

INSIDE the volume is utilised to the maximum.

You may guess that I am a fan of Junks by now..............

9. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Duma Tau, can you post some photos of your boat?

Cheers

10. Duma Tau

Duma Tau Junior Member

Hi Vega; there are a few in the gallery already, but I will try to get some on here.

Cheers!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.