advance/transfer question

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Charlyipad, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

Guys, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I don't know where else to put it.

The coast guard exam has some study questions about transfer and advance that I am having a hard time getting my head around.

The questions are multiple choice, and use a table diagram as reference. The table is a series of bearings and ranges on a stationary object, taken during the course of a 360 degree turn. The table lists the ships heading, then the bearing on the stationary object, then the objects range.

Finally the questions will ask for the advance or transfer, after a certain degree of turn, say, 90 degrees. The only way i can see to solve this is to plot the curve out and measure the advance or transfer from the side scale. Trouble is, each time i do it, I am not even close any of the supplied multiple choice answers.

The study material i have is very brief on this subject. Dutton's is no help. What am I missing? Is there a formula for this? Is plotting the curve the easiest way?
    I am lost. Thanks for any help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.