Spray Rail In Maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by isaacrsb, Nov 17, 2011.

1. isaacrsb

isaacrsb New Member

Hi everybody¡

My name is Isaac and I am studying Naval Architecture in Spain.

I am a new user of Maxsurf and I am trying to develope a high speed hull for one of my subjets. I was trying to get the spray rails on the bottom but I could not get a realistic result. The only thing I could get was a full lenght spray rail but that is not what I need at all. In the attached pictures you can find what I get for the moment using bonding surfaces but I dont know if this is the proper way... (These pictures are not the hull shape I am looking for, they are just tries).

Could somebody tell me how could I obtain a partial spray rail? I mean, from midship to the bow (for example). Which is the better way to obtain spray rails, compact cp or bonding surfaces?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Looking forward for your help¡

Kind regards,

Isaac.

Attached Files:

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Isaacrsb as you said “bonded edges” are not much help in this, you could possibly create a step for the end of the rail but this would carry over the whole of the bonded surfaces and make it very hard to fair the surfaces as a whole You could do the rails as separate surfaces then trim off the excess. It takes a bit of time to do, as the relationship between the two intersecting surfaces changes with the geometry of the hull surfaces as you move them around. The third idea you could try is a mix of both, create two surfaces for the bottom and use the combine edges command this give you a seam running the length of the boat which will be the inside edge of the rail flat, giving you a defining edge for the rail that is part of the hull surface. Now create a third surface the same as the other two (the same as for combine edge) then compact each of the edge points to the hull seam points and group them, you should now have a surface that is connected to the hull on the seam that you can turn into the rail flat. Repeat the steps to create the side surface off the outside edge of the flat, this now gives you a rail surface that can go with the hull surface . Now that the rail is done create a transverse surface and position this where you want to cut the rail, then use this to trim the rail when you are ready. Here are both examples.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  3. isaacrsb

isaacrsb New Member

Hi!!

Thank you very much for your answer and your examples. I think I understood everything. I will try it during the weekend and tell you later how it was.

Once again thank your very much¡¡

Regards

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.