coordinate directions in Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by Willallison, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'm sure there's a global comand to fix this, but I haven't found it yet....
    I'm used to having, for example x = 0 at the right, increasing as you move to the left.
    Short of rotating each of the view panes each time I start a new model, is there a way of doing this globally?

2. cgorton

cgorton Junior Member

X Coordinates

That seems opposite of what most CAD programs do, but kind of makes sense if you're used to seeing boat profiles with the bow to your right.

I don't know if there's a global command to shift that, but you could rotate your views then save the blank document as your own template file. When you start from scratch using the template it will be set up the way you want it.

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

:confused:

This still confuses me, some software uses UCS that you can define. Rhino has CPlane; you can find this under View. I have not found out how to change the defaults. One other thing to remember is if you export to other software it will be in World.

Gary :D

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Will,
    Just get used to the X dimension always being negative. It takes less time than trying to change it.....
    ;-P

5. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

I usually have my origin at the transom (UCS anyway) with positive forward. It doesn't matter how you label your axis anyway. 0 can still be at the bow. The UCS does't get onto your output anyway. A lot of drawings I don't even bother to set the origin as I work relative to baselines anyway.

6. Willallison

hmm.... fair enough. Though I'm surprised that nobody's been bothered by it before - given that the convention is to have the bow facing right. It's kind of confusing to me, as all the marine software that I've tried before has X increasing to the left. But then I guess I have to remen\mber that Rhino isn't just a marine modelling tool....

As always, thanks for the input - I'd be completely lost without you guys....;)

7. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Hi Will

Right click on (for example) "Front">set CPlane>x axis. click on 0,0 and draw left. Repeat as required for other views.. If you then go to "named views">save and save it as Front it should default...

Or you can save it as part of your template (probably safer!)

That do it for you?

Paul

8. Willallison

Aha!! Thanks Paul!
    I had a read through the manual last night (when all else fails....:D ) and thought there was a procedure something like that to 'fix' things. True to form - you guys are MUCH easier to decipher than the manual.....

9. ClarkT

ClarkT Senior Member

Will, I think you can get what you want simply by viewing the Left instead of Right <default> view

10. Willallison

Hmm - without checking, I do believe you may be right! Can't believe I didn't think of trying that! No Matter - one way or another, I'll be able to get what I'm after - thanks to all.....

11. Willallison

FYI - I tried the methods you guys have suggested and unfortunately none of them work!:eek: Rotating the construction plane has no effect on the world coordinate system, so even though it appears to give the disired results, when you add a point at say 1,0,0 it will still be to the 'right' of one added at 0,0,0.
    Looking from the back has a similar effect.

So next stop was Rhino tech support - and here the news is no better....

So - there you go - can't be done.:(

:?: But wait - I do seem to recall something in the manual about entering coordinates with a prefix, so they relate to the construction plane, rather than world coordinates. If that's so, then maybe combined with the rotated construction plane......

12. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

I share your frustration when entering coordinates manually. If you forget the – and hit enter, you wonder where the point went. I suggest that all those that find this a problem, drop a line to McNeal, and ask that they add to the wish list the option of changing the settings for the world coordinates. I have found this a very useful option in the CAM software I use.

An interesting note is that in H I Chapelle’s, Yacht Designing and Planning, the drawings have hulls with the stem to the right and the left. It seemed not to matter which way he drew them.

Gary :D

13. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Gary and Will - you guys need to get lives ;-P <just kidding!!!>
    If you just "go along" with Rhino, you'll get used to it in no time. Or just imagine it's Autocad and use the "@distance<angle" format all the time.
    Yeah, I know it's a pain, but then so was drawing in 2D, and we were all used to that.
    Steve

14. Willallison

Huh! I still do most of my drawing with a pencil !:D

The tech support guy said that he'd 'bring it up again at the next meeting......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.