Modeling boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ctosuner, Jul 26, 2007.

1. ctosuner

ctosuner New Member

I am a young naval architect and working as a boat builder now. In the near future I would like to enroll Westlawn in order to be able to design boats. I am aware that by that time I need to improve my Rhino and Maxsurf knowledge which are best for boat designing.

The problem is that I am not sure what somebody needs for modeling boats. Is lines plan of a vessel needed for modeling, I mean, should one require lines plan to create the 3d model? Or will I able to obtain lines plan after modeling and importing that model into Maxsurf. We were drawing lines plan at university by the help of offset table given to us, but I have doubts for designing custom boats.

Thanks in advance

2. Ironmaster

Ironmaster Gold Member

You don´t need a linesplan to create a boat in 3d. You can just start from scratch in any 3d modeling software no matter if it´s specifically intended for hull design or just a general purpose 3d modeler. I am not familiar with Maxsurf but all hull design software should allow you to create or to convert your 3d boat model automatically into a linesplan at the flick of switch....or to be more specific at the click of a mouse. Good luck with the experimentation and let us know how you progress.

3. ctosuner

ctosuner New Member

Thanks for your guidance, what you've mentioned about is as I thought. It is logical to obtain lines plan from 3d model. The most difficult point is modeling the form of the hull on your own, under the design constraints. I hadn't done this before that's why I have doubts. Thanks for your help...

4. yipster

yipster designer

try freeship, its good shipdesign software and its free
    if you dont enter your own boat it opens with
    a standard boat model you can modify

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.