Panel flow code for VPP matrix computation?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adam Persson, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Adam Persson

Adam Persson Junior Member

Hi!

I am looking for a suitable panel flow code for computing VPP speed/heel/resistance matrix for a sailing yacht. I currently have the ability to do RANS-based CFD for free-surface problems but these take far to long time to solve for the method to be used for VPP matrix calculation.

Do you have any ideas what a suitable software might be?
    I do not really need wave elevation plots, just resistance figures for a number of different speeds and heel angles. The hulls are designed in Orca3D, so some way of transferring the geometry from there is needed.
    The hulls to be analysed have L/B ratio of 5, so I don't think Michlet is suitable...

I am a student, and this is purely non-commercial work, so preferably the software should be very low cost/free.

Thank you,
    Adam Persson

2. sottorf

sottorf member

3. Roque

Roque New Member

Try FINE/Marine from NUMECA

I realize this is an old post. But since it popped on one on my online searches, I thought it would be OK to add a comment.

Adam, in what University are you? Maybe your head of group could get in touch with NUMECA-USA and ask about academic price of FINE/Marine. This is a CFD code that performs very well and has a wizard to setup VPP matrix.

Cheers!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.