Missinginaction update and a question or two

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by missinginaction, Dec 26, 2007.

1. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Orange County Choppers is filmed in Orange County California, I believe.
    There is an Orange County NY, down by New York City, but on the U.S. east coast. 48 hours? I can't remember. Nick Nolte & Eddie Murphy right?

Regarding the engine mounts. Keep in mind when you look at the picture I posted, you're looking at the engine from the front of the boat, looking aft. That 1 1/2" diameter hose you see is a coolent water intake hose that connects to the v-drive. The exhaust hoses are 3" diameter, but not visible in that photo.

I understand your thinking about the mounts. When you mention Yanmar though you're talking diesel. This is gasoline power. The entire engine/transmission/v-drive weighs about 800 lbs. It's pretty light compared to a diesel. I can still get replacement mounts for that engine, and they do make a dual mount which appears a bit more sturdy. I'll have a look in the shop at the v-drive and see if there is any way to secure the drive to the boat directly.

Here is a link to the engine mounts that I mentioned.

http://www.marineparts.com/mpf/mpf18.aspx

Thanks for your interest Frosty, it's appreciated..MIA

Regards,

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The 6 mounting config is nothing so much to do with weight of the engine but thrust.

Your a bit out on technology, My Yanmar 6 cylinders developing 250Hp are 380KG.They have turbo ,intercoolers ,heat exchanger all on the engine itself. They use 'Barry' mounts 6 mounts can be used

The engine coolers are made in New York. !!!

3. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

Orange County Choppers is located in New York.

4. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

You're absolutely right Eagle Boats! Thanks for the correction. MIA

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It is in New York I watch it every night. Its good exept Im getting a bit fed up with the old walrus shouting at Paul to get on with it and why is everything on a deadline.

Boyd coddington is on after that, then Overhaulin and Wing nuts and --- etc etc. I cant get to bed till 12.30 most nights.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The ceramic faced seals do require less ongoing maint , BUT most need a water feed at all times , and worst of all require the rubber bladder to be changed with regularity.

The std shaft packing , but packed with Goretex or similar only requires a seasonal adjustment , and there is no chance of a catistropic failure.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.