Mirror 16 foot Sailing Dinghy

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by goolawah, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Phanou

Phanou New Member

2D shape

I am very impressed by the work you are carrying out in order to create a 3D CAD model.
    Good news for the community, that once your work will be achieved you would make the plan available.
    Alternatively as the Mirror 16 is a plywood developable hard chine construction, I am wondering if it will not be easiest to draw/copy directly the 2D shape of each pieces of the “puzzle”.
    It could be done by laying sheet of paper on the chine and cutting or drawing along the contour line.

2. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

The reasons that I want to measure the hull are for reference when assembling the new hull, and to confirm that the existing hull meets the Class Measurement rules.
    I will be tracing templates however the bottom panels are badly damaged and distorted so I am not confident that I could trace a correctly shaped template.
    I want to capture as much dimensional data as possible because once I pull the hull apart all that information will be lost.
    Once the model is complete it will make it much simpler to create plans and dxf profiles for laser or waterjet cutting.

3. Phanou

Phanou New Member

I understand that you wish to be as accurate as possible.
    Sometimes it's hard to figure out which rule to apply, "The devil is in the details" or "The best is the enemy of the good." Anyhow, I don't understand to which Class Measurement rules you are refering.

4. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Mirror 16 Class Measurement Rules

The measurement rules I am referring to are the Class Measurement Rules for the Mirror 16, attached.

Attached Files:

5. Phanou

Phanou New Member

Thank you so much.

Stephane

6. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Hull measurements

Hi All,
    I have finished measuring the external dims of the hull. I have attached the results as a table, and a dxf with the points connected. The dxf points are in 3 dimensions so if you have suitable cad software you should be able to rotate the viewing direction. In the dxf you can see the distortion of the keel due to age and rot. The points on the keel are measured on the lower face of the 3/4" timber strip that runs along the keel.... I have now started to remove that strip so that I can take templates of the hull panels.

I found a rustly block of steel about 6" x 2" x 1" lying loose inside the rear portside flotation tank!!!??? :confused:

Its slow progress but I'm getting there.

Attached Files:

7. mirror 16

mirror 16 New Member

small rebuild....

Hi all,

well 261 had a few problems too. The bottom was disconected from the frames in a few places, the transom was rotten in the corner, the previous patches leaked and well it was time. so last winter off came most of the bottom and on went new frames and a new bottom and transom. all went well. the camping picture is from this september we went on a 4 day cruise up the coast to pender harbour for the jazz festival and then sailed home.

keep up the good work

dan

Attached Files:

8. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

The rebuild looks great Dan!
    Did you make the new ribs the same as the old ones or did you beef them up?

9. sverbeure

sverbeure New Member

10. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Did you put anything in that space between the Deck and the Hull?
    Floatation foam? Etc?

11. sverbeure

sverbeure New Member

12. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Hi Stefaan,
    The boat you have is a Mirror Dinghy which has a length of 10 foot 10 inches. The boat that we have been discussing here is a Mirror 16 which, at 16 feet in length, is the "bigger brother" of your boat.
    Thud puckers question refers to the air space between the deck (or sole) and the hull of a Mirror 16. The Mirror Dinghy does not have a deck..... the floor is the inside face of the hull panels.
    Thanks for your photos. It appears as though you have put a lot of effort into your dinghy and it looks great. Good job!

1 person likes this.
  13. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Update

Hi All,
    I have been sidetracked from the Mirror 16 rebuild for the last few months while I have been repairing and refitting three rotationally moulded kayaks.
    Over the weekend I got back onto it and started removing the seat panels and creating templates as shown in the attached photos.

Attached Files:

14. Ozducati

Ozducati Mirror 16 #189

Part size

Hi,
    Can anyone give me the width and depth, to the nearest 1/8", of the internal vertical member on the Mirror 16 transom (see attached). My transom has been butchered and no longer has this piece.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

15. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Oz, couldn't you find the originals in the Daily Mirror enclaves?

Your working so hard and so long on that thing.....I'm pullin fer ye buddy!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.