Mirror 16 foot Sailing Dinghy

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by goolawah, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Sweet16

Sweet16 Junior Member

MIRROR 16 - Sweet 16 FOR SALE

Hello everyone, my glorious M16 sail number 494 is for sale in Suffolk UK. She is with a dark blue hull and remainder all varnished. The floor looks a bit cloudy as it has a non-slip additive (sand!). All standing and running rigging in excellent condition. Complete with spinnaker and chute. Main is rigged for slab reefing with seperate lines for both aft cringles and forward cringles. Lines secure at jamb cleats adjacent to kicker. All sails in very good condition.

Sweet 16 comes complete with launching trolley and dark blue canvas cover with wooden cover batten from gooseneck to transom to shed water.

Please contact me if you are interested or just wish to comment on her.

hannen@yoxford.plus.com

Attached Files:

2. gonesurfin

gonesurfin mirror 16 - #185

Hi Guys - I am pleased to announce that I have just brought a beautifull mirror 16 (#185) in fanastic condition and sails like a dream. Still getting the feel but she is so responsive. I'm near Bundaberg Qld, Australia.
    Photos will follow soon.

3. Sweet16

Sweet16 Junior Member

Mirror 16

Hi Gonesurfin, pleased to hear you have found a good M16. If you know of anyone over this side of the globe who wants an even NEWER M16 - tell them to visit this forum and look at my M16 (Sweet 16). She is in fantastic condition and ready to sail/race etc now at UKĀ£850

4. dream458

dream458 Junior Member

Hi All,

Havn't been on the site for a while, but I thought I would share some photos of hull 458 on the rebuild. We cut out the rectangle in the bottom where there was a dry rot hole, and glued a patch in place. After countless upon countless hours of sanding we re-fiber glassed the entire hull. I was surprised at how well the fabric laid on the hull. I would be happy to entertain questions about the repair if you have them.

Also wanted to share the photo of my daughter, the world's youngest M16 sailor!

Cheers!
    Katrina

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. Sweet16

Sweet16 Junior Member

Sweet 16

Hi dream458. You have done an excellent job on your M16. My old girl remains for sale and is currently on ebay (search - Mirror 16 sailing dinghy). Have thoroughly enjoyed my ownership and have moved on to a 25 Westerly 4 berth yacht. Hope an enthusiastic owner pops up soon! Congratulations on disclosure of the youngest M16 sailor!
    :)

6. Sweet16

Sweet16 Junior Member

Hello everyone - just a quick note to advise my beautiful M16 "Sweet 16" has finally gone to a new owner in the UK.

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

"Unless a boat, however small and simple, is built in a shipshape manner , it is better not built at all."..... William Atkin

8. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Just wondering, pardon my ignorance please, why does a pure sailing boat have a squared off stern?

9. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...they do not necessarily have a cut stern, that is simply design, canoe and rounded sterns are usually seen in open water boats, like coastal or ocean cruisers, cos they allow a passing wave to move through them without lifting the stern and broaching the vessel.
    ...a very sharp stern can make a planing boat faster...try it, if your boat can plane, then making the squared section razor sharp will increase boat speed (I proved this many times when i was younger in racing motorboats)

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

..also, the overhangs on a yacht increase the waterline length as the boat heels, making it faster (1.3 x sq root of the waterline is the hull speed, so increasing the waterline increases the speed)

11. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

If you took that little 16 and added the round stern deck with the hull lines contiguous all the way up to the stern, it would make the speed faster?
    I think I'd like the looks of that too.

12. michhes

michhes New Member

Mirror 16 Plans

Were the Mirror 16 plans ever reverse engineered? Bought a Mirror 10 which I love but it's a bit cramped and I'd love to build something a bit bigger.

13. Tall 351

Tall 351 New Member

Just found this site and as the former owner of M388 and the current owner of M531 i thought I should say hi.

My farther built M388 in the 1960's and only sailed it a few times. I then took over its use but time and water turned it into rotten wood. So in 1995 I took as many measurments off it as possible and then after removing as much as possible I burnt the remains on May8th 1995. V sad but as the Queen was celebrating VE day I joined in.

Plans to rebuild 388 kept me sain during a domestick crisis but rebuilding was tharted by the arrival of M351. My sailing club has just acepted this length of boat so I am looking forward to some fun sailing again.

I would be most pleased to contact any other M16 oweneres or even to join in with a 'reconstruction' project.
    Regards
    Ken

14. dell of eccles

dell of eccles New Member

Mirror 16 (236 Leona)

Hi
    Having recently found this web site i like to add Leona to the list of M16:p still sailing. Having had replaced her transom after a long lay up outdoors.she is a pro built boat built for Norwich city collage, i have owned her since the mid 1970's dingy cruising on the medway and south coast. as we are living in Norfolk we will be sailing again on the broads and the coast. if any M16 owners Need any details for rebuilds this boat is still in full original condition IE all ply rigging ,sails and Trailer.

15. Tall 351

Tall 351 New Member

I can now update you all. I have been sailing my M16 fairly regularly at my sailing club at Banbury.
    I have looked at several picturs of M16's and thought that you might be intrested in some modifications to my boat. The best one is the removal of the King Post and replacment with an off cut mast. The Main, Spinnaker and 'spare' jid halyard all now run through the mast heel, through the deck and out of the 'new' King Post. The spinnaker and roller reffing line come out of the bottom of the post whilst the main halyard and 'spare' jib exit next to the two Staghorn Cleets. I must add that my friend, who recently had a strok and sailing is theropy for him, is attempting to turn the boat into a racing machine as befits his heratage as a Merlin Rocket sailor. This modification does leave the base of the mast uncluttered with almost nothing to foul the jib crossing during tacking. Although the King Post is very busy...
    A thought on the problem most of us have; the breaking hull struts under the deck. M531 has had at least three owners, The origonal builder who I have christned "the Carpinter". Then a person I have christned "The Mechanic". The Mechanic put all sorts of 'bits' on the boat like the main traveler BOLTED onto the gunwales... The Carpinter has added a second thwart in-front of the standard one and a lovely housing for a compass. Unfortunatly like most of you I have four damaged supports; two each side. These struts are under the two thwarts I consider that the damage is from the trailer. As we are collectivly considering backwards-engineering a Mirror 16 perhaps we should consider stiffaning this area or perhaps adding a bilge keel with a substancial internal support to spread the weight of the hull when on the trailer. Just a thought!
    I consider myself most fortunat in that "The Carpinter" has done such a good job, apart from leading the spinnaker shoot terminating by the Port Chainplate, that there is almost no rot apart from the little bit on the Gunwale which I think was a poorly fitted cover.

Just to clear up a point on my previously M16 was not a true 16. Becaus of the rot I cut the transom off her and added a new one so she was in fact a M15 foot 10 inches; dosent quite role of the tong. I found when I dismantled her that my farther had not built her with enough clerance for dranage; henc the premature end due to rot. But in mitigation like him I get more enjoyment from building than sailing

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.