Want more sound

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by DarrenPayne, Sep 25, 2005.

1. DarrenPayne

DarrenPayne New Member

Hello all, recently I bought a 94 chap, with a 5.7 liter engine. Is there any way to get a sport boat sound out of it ?? I want a deeper exhaust tone. Thanks in advance

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Federal law requires underwater exhaust within three miles of the shore. There are systems that bypass the exhaust to a through the transom pipe. Please don't be obnoxious and keep your noise away from other boaters.

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

All that Gonzo says - and more.... BUT if you make the through transom pipe of pure copper (expensive - and in regular need of replacement) you'll get a lovely deep burbling V8 Chevvy sound...
    Failing that install a CD player, big whoofers, and buy a disc of the Le Mans or Enduro 500..... :D

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

A few around here who drive the slammed Honda Civics simply cut a hole in each end of a beer bubba and weld that on the tailpipe.... makes a helluva racket.

Look at exhaust systems by IMCO and Stainless Marine, among others... they're insanely pricey but will do what you want. Remember that if you install these you must have a switchable diverter to put the exhaust back to through-prop when you're near shore. Other boaters, as a rule, want to see you but not hear you.

5. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Tell that to the jet boaters at the lake!:D My Chris has thru transom wet exhaust, and with twin Chevy 350s makes a lovely racket, especially when the engines are just slightly out of synch.

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Does the 3 mile include all types and sizes of pleasure and race boats or are there special loop holes for the chosen few? How about 1 of a kind home builts?-------And those replica hackers and Gar Woods?

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It includes all boats. Underwater exhausts can be bypassed in exchange for a muffler. However, through exhausts are to be used only three miles or more offshore. PWC's can only be operated at more than 150' from shore. They have a maximum noise restriction too. It is in Db, but I can't remember the exact number.

8. chandler

chandler Senior Member

noise on the water

Just keep it on your snowmobile, 4 wheeler,or whatever obnoxious,vehicle you choose to annoy the people who enjoy peace and quiet.

9. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Does it cover older wet exhausts with no muffler? or is all cooling water thru transom pipes considered a legal system?

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A wet exhaust acts like a muffler. The exhaust creates waves in the water which does two things: one, it uses some of the exhaust explosion energy, and two, the waves act like baffles in a muffler.

11. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

I heard once a Colombo - with two large Mercs V8's - terrific sound, just like idling dragsters...

12. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I forgot to call the USCG on this one.

13. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

You can run whatever exhaust system you want. As long as it passes a decible test. That will only happen on popular areas during the summer. I have had my boat inspected many times by the Coast Gaurd and the local Sheriff. They did not say anything about my twin BBC and straight thru out the transom exhaust. And yes it does sound good. Funny thing though, sail boaters hardly ever wave back at me.:p

Steve Hixson

14. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I normally like V 8 boat exhausts. Except when they are over 300 hp at less than 1 mile. -----------------Solution. ANY loudness of exhaust is to be permitted, IF the exhaust pipes are facing the captain and passangers and they do not wear, are NOT allowed, to wear ear protectors.-----Why the hell is everyone else supposed to hear that noise and not the boat people??

15. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

My boat is not really all that loud. The pipes are about 48" long and wet. There is no mistaking what is coming down the river. However the pipes are submerged at idle speeds, so I really don't get any complaint. I think that the sail boat thing is more of a Dem, GOP thing? I don't know. I just make sure I smother them in courtesy and kindness so they really can't remember why they don't like me.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.