rudder help

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by nickbeale, Jul 10, 2011.

1. nickbeale

nickbeale New Member

Hello i have a 38 foot long keel carvel yacht over the winter the rudder was damaged as it is very long and runs from the bottom of the keel up to the water line where it fits into the rudder post(transom hung type)would it be ok to replace the under water part with heavy marine ply and shape it to the original?. the rudder was originally made in two pieces and i would join it into the old joint. any advice would help please.

2. Surfszup

Surfszup Junior Member

3. nickbeale

nickbeale New Member

help

Thanks for that very helpful,would still like more info please anybody. ps do i know you?.

4. Surfszup

Surfszup Junior Member

Depends on which Falmouth your from........I do not recognize your name.....and the closest Falmouth I know of is KY. But I was from Burlington.

5. nickbeale

nickbeale New Member

sorry but i live in the UK. Nic

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Contact Ian Bowles at teakdecksw@googlemail.com. He is in Totnes, but may be able to help. You can always bring the rudder over to him.
    Gonzo

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Plywood only works on small, lightly loaded rudders, so yours will need a strip planked blade or another approach, such as inert materials that can't rot, swell or other wise make you cuss.

The strip plank method is tried and true. I've made dozen this way and it's fairly easy too. The above link will be a good guide, though I don't agree will all of the recommendations there. > http://www.boat-links.com/foils.html < this link will also be helpful.

I wouldn't be inclined to make the blade in two pieces. A transom hung rudder typically is three pieces not counting the tiller: the blade and a cheek piece on each side at the top of the blade, which often accept the tiller. Simple is best on this particular element.

Post some photos so we can see what you're working with.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.